suggestions on 240 stocking

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
unsure as wether to go predator fish or community. tank is currently cycling, foot print is 8x2, fish only in the tank, live sand and rock in sump, octopus protein skimmer rated for about 400 gallons set to go, any suggestions?

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
well u can do a pred fish / large community fish. like i have in my 300 gallon i mostly have preds though.
Here is my fish list in my tank ... u might wanna check out some of these beauties

oriental sweetlips
miniataus grouper
spotted grouper
panther grouper
russels lionfish
blue hamlet
a seven inch female maroon clown she runs the show
3 yellow tangs
chainlink eel
and two sergent major damsels.

and they all get along fine except the maroon clown likes to bug the oriental sweetlip. and i have a couple coral frags growing good and two anemonies..

the frozen dead food i feed my fish:
squid
krill
shrimp
silversides
baby blue crabs from my natural salt water pond in my backyard the pond is fed by a canal from the beach and also from a salt marsh,

The live food mainly for entertainment and a lil show for guest:
cocahoe minnows that i cast net from the pond... i qaurintine these fish for two weeks and after qaurintine they are housed in my sumps refugium until feeding.
and occasional ill catch some live shrimp when cast netting in my pond same qt process and sump housing for them

i konw its a long reply but this should help u out if u decide to go pred.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
how much rock do you have to provide barriers and hiding places? this list of fish get along for the most part? im more looking for a striking picture so to me predator vs community, theres no real pull either way. each has its own beauty

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
let me clarify, do these kinds of fish usually get along or was this just luck of the draw with you? obviously each fish has their own personality and you never know. just curious. any other types of species you could suggest as some possibilities? i like the look of some of the angels, lionfish, and zebra eels. not necessarily all three in the same tank just 3 types i like.

BAYOU boy 437

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
louisana
i forgot how many pounds of live rock i have .. of the top of my head i would say umm fourty or fifty pounds .. but its not big rocks mostly medium to small rocks and not stacked real high the rocks are set up wher the fish have more hiding places and more swim room and i have about twenty pounds of shucked oyster shells in the tank to. and my fish get along great except like i said the maroon clown likes to bug the sweet lips...

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
is it safe to say all these fish can stay in this tank and not have to growout into anything larger

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
savannah_az;4297426; said:
is it safe to say all these fish can stay in this tank and not have to growout into anything larger
They will eventually even outgrow his tank.

You should look online at fish and decide what fish YOU like best. Then we can work with compatibility.

Liveaquaria.com

They tell you a little about the fish, have good pictures, and will tell you minimum tank size. Some are off but its pretty decent.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
thats where ive been. so assuming i go with an angel and/or a lionfish for starters. im not finding much on angels expect they are agressive in general. and lions will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. so if i was to go with a dward lionfish and angel, should i search for fish around 8" semi agressive range?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
savannah_az;4297838; said:
thats where ive been. so assuming i go with an angel and/or a lionfish for starters. im not finding much on angels expect they are agressive in general. and lions will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. so if i was to go with a dward lionfish and angel, should i search for fish around 8" semi agressive range?
why would you go with a dwarf lion fish that would be such a waste, especially in such a larger tank. Also an angel of 8inches will cost you 300$+ anywhere. I also wouldn't purchase an angel without personally seeing that its eating and is in great shape.

a 12 inch lion fish couldn't even really swallow a 4inch angel.

savannah_az

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2010
az
ok, my though process of the dwarf lion was smaller fish = smaller mouth = less danger to tankmates. as for the angel if i run across one great if not oh well. im not in a rush to get things in there quick. i just want to plan ahead now so i don't screw myself later. so are some of the larger non to mid agressive fish ok with a lion? foxface, rabbit fish, tang, etc...? anything i should avoid with an angel and/or lion

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store