How much does it cost?

eamonster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
I have a newbie question and it's going to be a lame one. Sorry to all you experienced peeps out there but I'm new to the scene. What can I say?

I was wondering how much it would cost to set up a 200 gallon marine fish tank. From start to finish. Just a rough estimate so I can start saving. ha!

I am looking at getting a shark (bamboo) and a few other small fish. Of course these don't need to be added into the total estimate, I just wanted to give you all and idea of what will be in the tank.

I have been keeping fish for years but want to try the marine side of the house. Thanks for viewing.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
That would be a lot cheaper...but not quite as cool, or as aesthetically pleasing. Also I would consider a larger tank for your shark, in fact, I would consider the biggest possible home you could provide him with.

There are some poly tanks (rubbermaid or otherwise) that are circular 71" in Dia and I think about 18" deep...this might work well for a shark if you wanted to do sort of an indoor pond scheme. I think that pool is about 500g.

There is another section that is devoted to sharks you might want to check that out for more specific information.

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
eamonster;4300444; said:
I have a newbie question and it's going to be a lame one. Sorry to all you experienced peeps out there but I'm new to the scene. What can I say?

I was wondering how much it would cost to set up a 200 gallon marine fish tank. From start to finish. Just a rough estimate so I can start saving. ha!

I am looking at getting a shark (bamboo) and a few other small fish. Of course these don't need to be added into the total estimate, I just wanted to give you all and idea of what will be in the tank.

I have been keeping fish for years but want to try the marine side of the house. Thanks for viewing.
The cost will vary by a huge amount depending on the equipment. I would say about 2k to 5k. It could also be a lot higher or lower if you buy used equipment.

snow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
B.C.,Canada
Well like you I'm new also to the salt water scene. I'm setting up a 175g predator tank. I was only going to spend a max of $500 but then I decided to buy a complete system and my tank still cycleing with no fish and I'm in it around $900. You will also need live rock and a good quality skimmer for a shark. A good skimmer will set you back around $500-$1500 depending on your forte..... do not go out and buy those stupid and cheaply made coralife super skimmers.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
you eventually need 400+ gallons for a bamboo shark. They do get 4ft long, that in my books is a full size shark...

A coral catshark or a marble shark would be in your range for a 200g

The price would totally end up on you. You can get a 220g off of craigslist for 400$

Rocks- if you go lace you can get 100lbs for 50$
skimmer used for like 75-100$
Sand - 80$
Salt - 50$
salinity scope - 20$
Filtration- 120$ if you build it or just get an fx5 for 200.

Done..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store