Moray ID

viperbot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys, can anyone ID this Moray? Its my first and to be honest Im a little unsure of the species. It was going for a steal as the guy was breaking down his setups but I cant place it. Its 13" and its going in a 100G tank, hopefully with a trigger of some sort. Apologies for the cr@ppy pics...

CIMG0090.JPG

CIMG0091.JPG

CIMG0092.JPG

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
jewled moray eel

The Jeweled Moray Eel originates from the shorelines of the Eastern Pacific, from the Gulf of California and south throughout Central America. They are one of the smaller Moray Eels, only attaining a maximum size of 24 inches. They are black with beautiful white markings. As a juvenile, these eels are brown with gold spots. This species adapts readily to aquarium life, and does not require a large amount of space.
This is a very hardy eel, but is an escape artist, and requires a tightly sealed aquarium. A 50-gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding is ideal for the Jeweled Moray. Most of the eels that are lost in an aquarium are due to poorly sealed tanks. These eels are very aggressive in the aquarium, and will eat any fish, crustacean or other eel that it can swallow. Do not house more than one of this species in the aquarium, unless the aquarium is larger than 120 gallons, and the eels are of the same size and acclimated at the same time.

The Jeweled Eel is a nocturnal predator, ambushing fish and crustaceans. In the aquarium it will learn to feed during the daylight hours, and it will take frozen or freeze-dried krill, fish, shrimp, and most meaty foods. It can be taught to hand feed, although this should be done with caution, as it can inflict a painful bite.

Good looking eel man. I would go with the piccaso trigger still though. Or a less aggressive trigger... besides a clown trigger can reach up to 24 inches.. most 12 - 16 though.

Coues

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2010
New Jersey
Awesome moray man. Good luck with him. How bout some pics of him in the tank?

viperbot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
@ The Canuck, thanks a million bro, you have been a great help. I really appreciate you taking the time.

@ Coues, will do mate, just charging the battery :).

Jay

viperbot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
As promised, heres a few images of him in the tank. I hope to see more of him when he settles in a bit and I am aiming to get a new camera soon.

CIMG0094.JPG

CIMG0096.JPG

CIMG0099.JPG

CIMG0098.JPG

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
Nice Eel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com