New 50 gal saltwater tank

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, I recently acquired a 50 gal tank, 25" L x 24" T x 18" D , and I want to set this one up as a marine tank.

I've had minimal experience with saltwater, which was a fluval edge as a nano reef tank (pointless $130), which was pretty cool at first, but the troubles were maintenance since its such a small opening, and not many lighting options for that small of a tank.

Annnnyway.. I have some general questions as to how to set the tank up appropriately. I would like to have some different corals, soft will be fine for ease. Im looking for suggestions on filters, if i need a sump (how to set it up), skimmer, etc.

To help you with your suggestions, I heard I should try and come up with a stock list. I would like to have something different than the norm of just tangs and clown fish. I was really wanting to do an octopus, or a lionfish. But than itd be a solo tank.. Id like it to be a tank with lots of movement, and color (girlfriend requested color lol) and I definitely like predatory fish, so maybe triggers :) But problem is, its only a 50 gal, so the fish need to be comfortable in there for quite some time.

I know this is a ridiculously long post, thx for your patience and future help :)

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
first you need to do some research, and decide some things...

Predators eat corals

They also eat other fish that are not predator compatible.

55gallon is a decent sized reef, can be quite costly

Whats your budget and where do you want to go with this tank?

You need to decide if you want corals or not

;)

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Jewel or snowflake and call it day.

Bam, problem solved.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Heathd;4306754; said:
Jewel or snowflake and call it day.

Bam, problem solved.
While i had corals with my green moray, and it can be done... its best not to. They will knock over corals and lay on them like pillows lol. Mushrooms are fine but anything more than polyups and mushrooms are most likely going to be killed from being knocked over and sat on.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
TheCanuck;4306842; said:
While i had corals with my green moray, and it can be done... its best not to. They will knock over corals and lay on them like pillows lol. Mushrooms are fine but anything more than polyups and mushrooms are most likely going to be killed from being knocked over and sat on.
I was talking about predators for a 50 gallon. I am going to have a 55 gallon as surplus soon, and was contemplating on what to do with it. Eels have started to grow on me, and was leaning towards a jewel simply because they have the "classic" look that comes with an eel. Snowflakes are nice looking, but dont neccesarly do it for me.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Heathd;4306877; said:
I was talking about predators for a 50 gallon. I am going to have a 55 gallon as surplus soon, and was contemplating on what to do with it. Eels have started to grow on me, and was leaning towards a jewel simply because they have the "classic" look that comes with an eel. Snowflakes are nice looking, but dont neccesarly do it for me.
Ah okay. Jeweled morays are very stunning too. Check out my videos in the marine lounge... my eel is in the second video

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
TheCanuck;4306906; said:
Ah okay. Jeweled morays are very stunning too. Check out my videos in the marine lounge... my eel is in the second video
I will when I get home, no worky at work.

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
im cool with doing just shrooms and polyps, but id rather have more than just one eel. You're right, I need to decide if i want to do a reef tank with a number of diff corals or if i want to do a fish only tank with minimal live rock and coral. I Love anglers and lionfish.. soo i think i might lean more towards a angler fish. any coral i could keep with them?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Luxauterna;4308283; said:
im cool with doing just shrooms and polyps, but id rather have more than just one eel. You're right, I need to decide if i want to do a reef tank with a number of diff corals or if i want to do a fish only tank with minimal live rock and coral. I Love anglers and lionfish.. soo i think i might lean more towards a angler fish. any coral i could keep with them?
While you could keep corals with him, he is a loner. It would be just him, and only him. You would have to reset corals as he knocked them down each day. You should check out some videos on youtube, or even my videos and look at some predator tanks. When done correctly, you will never miss corals ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store