conch help please

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Hey what's up fella's. I live in south carolina. i was shell and rock hunting at the beach today with a freind of mine little girl. And when we got home going through them i noticed that one of the shells she picked up still had a creature in it. I'm pretty sure that it is a conch of some kind. I have atached some pics for you to check out. I set up a 10 gallon tank i had laying around for it to live in temperarly for salt 1.022. with heater filter and exct. I go to the beach every other week. So i'm going to bring it back when i go back. diddn't mean to take it. it is in a new tank by itself so there is no risk of contaminating it exct. Curious if you guy's can tell me what to feed it untill i can bring it back. I am allso just assuming that the temp should be around 78-85 or so any help would help. Please do me a favor and if you are just going to say something rude don't bother replying she is just a little girl and diddn't know any better. And i couldn't check everything she grabbed i'm trying to do the right thing here. Thanks for you'r time and interest.

Sincerely,

Jeff

adventures 017.jpg

adventures 016.jpg

adventures 015.jpg

adventures 014.jpg

adventures 013.jpg

adventures 012.jpg

adventures 011.jpg

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
Any one?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
You should never reintroduce wild life, regardless of the circumstances. I understand that you may be holding it for a week, etc... but dont do it.

Either care for it for the rest of its life, or put it in a plastic bag and then put that in the freezer until it is dead.

Conchs are scavengers, so just feed it some algae or dried seaweed on a clip, along with some meaty foods or a qaulity pellet/flake.

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
i understand the dont realize captive animals back in the the wild hole thing and i'm all about that. But like i said this is a wild animal and is in a tank that i just set up for this certain fish. with a filter that has never been uned exct. it's not going to get any thing that could be taken back to the wild. I understand the affects of doing such things. Like i said in my previous post. please dont flame on what i'm doing here. and thanks for you'r time.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
skillzizzo;4309495; said:
i understand the dont realize captive animals back in the the wild hole thing and i'm all about that. But like i said this is a wild animal and is in a tank that i just set up for this certain fish. with a filter that has never been uned exct. it's not going to get any thing that could be taken back to the wild. I understand the affects of doing such things. Like i said in my previous post. please dont flame on what i'm doing here. and thanks for you'r time.
I wasnt flaming you from the get go. Wild caught or not, you shouldnt release it back into the wild.

If you really feel like what you are doing isnt a problem, go speak with a game wardern about it and see how they react.

Native or non-native, wild or aquacultured, items should not be released or re-released into the ocean. Even in your circumstance where the likelihood of something bad coming of it is miniscule, it isnt worth it.

It isnt a responsible action, and stuff like this is what makes it progressively more difficult to get certain breeds of fish, or to harvest organisms from certain locations regardless of what good intentions you may have had.:irked:

skillzizzo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2007
Mesa - Arizona
seriously fu-- of- dude. Wild life people release stuff all the time. INjured animals. of all species. turtles birds gatores everything. I know alot about this kinda stuff i am no amictue. beleive me i'm a advid believe in not releasing animals in the wild look at the bottom of my post in blue what it say's. Sorry for getting pissed people should not treat people on here like idiots all the time.

Mod please delete this thread if you read i'm done with it thanks

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
skillzizzo;4309688; said:
seriously fu-- of- dude. Wild life people release stuff all the time. INjured animals. of all species. turtles birds gatores everything. I know alot about this kinda stuff i am no amictue. beleive me i'm a advid believe in not releasing animals in the wild look at the bottom of my post in blue what it say's. Sorry for getting pissed people should not treat people on here like idiots all the time.

Mod please delete this thread if you read i'm done with it thanks
I wouldnt have to treat you like an idiot if you didnt act like one. If you know that you were possibly going to catch crap over releasing an organism, then why did you come on here asking for help, better yet, why didnt you just drive down there and release it as soon as you found out?

You are right, department of wild life people do release stuff back in to the wild, and they are authorized to do so, along with knowing more about what they are doing then you.

People like you give this hobby a bad name.

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
Heathd its no big deal if he has it for a week or so. If he has the thing in the tank for an extended period of time where other things were introduced into the tank then it would become a problem because it would've gotten used to being in captivity.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Gprime;4309811; said:
Heathd its no big deal if he has it for a week or so. If he has the thing in the tank for an extended period of time where other things were introduced into the tank then it would become a problem because it would've gotten used to being in captivity.
I already contended that the likely hood of something negative coming of it is small, but I still dont agree with it, even if it is being released to the same area. Its not a responsible practice.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Well, nothing for nothing his posting was to I.D. the animal. Nothing in his post suggested that he was going to just return it back into the wild, no need to jump on people so hard that are just asking questions. I am sure that your record with fishkeeping like all of ours has something in our past that was subject to scrutiny.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store