thinking about doing a saltwater tank

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
this is what the plan is. i have a 125g long tank and would like to stock it with damsels and a small eel or tangs and a small eel. im going to be doing a fish less cycle as no pet store around here that sells saltwater fish anymore. once its cycled i will order the fish from someplace. what is a good online place that sells a variety of saltwater fish?

the things im gonna need are salt mixes, protein skimmer, bare rock and more crushed coral. whats the best bang for buck salt mix out there? where to get it at? protein skimmer im probably gonna make. i see that alot of the cheaper models suck as they say here and there even though they are still quite expensive. what kind of rocks should i use? something porous and light im thinking.

thats all i can think of right now. any help on starting a salt water tank would be great.

Weylin

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2007
Inside a Bottle
Well Live Aquaria is good place to get livestock..

If you don't want to buy an expensive skimmer, you can buid an Alage turf filter, i use it on my reef tank and no problems, all the water parameters are perfect..

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
liveaquaria is a nice place. size, charts, info on the fish is a nice touch. $5 damsels seem standard. but is $35 shipping normal? ill look into the algae turf thing

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Well, 5 bucks for a damsel is a little high, but not that bad. If you order enough fish, the shipping is free through liveaquaria. There are other places like thatpetplace that sell fish and they usually have better deals on shipping. Most places are only going to overnight/next day shipping on fish.

And do an ATS. Since you are starting fresh and dont already have a skimmer laying around, save yourself the cash and build an algae turf scrubber.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
$5 i like the cheapest ive seen lately. i dont know were else. what is an ATS? algae turf scrubber?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
beex215;4310424; said:
$5 i like the cheapest ive seen lately. i dont know were else. what is an ATS? algae turf scrubber?
correct

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store