Aligator Gar fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanDanUK

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
Leeds , England
Wow you guys i never really new anything about the gar fish native to the florida waters until i come across these Gar pic's and boy do i want one. I had seen pictures of them befor but never truly realized how big there mouths were and the choppers they hold in it DAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMM man

IWANT A GAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR !!!

check out these pic's i found.

gar.jpg

gar1.jpg

View attachment 1115610

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Those are actually small gators gars a full grown well aged gator can reach 10 feet in length and weigh 278-300 lbs .Like those double row of teeth in those jaws?-Anne

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Not the alligator gar, spotteds and floridas get to around 2' max I think.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
spotted or florida gars would be your best choice for home aquaria either can reach 24'' but the tank should be 30-36inches wide Gars need a large turning radius as their scalation makes their body more rigid than many fish-Anne

cenecker

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 15, 2005
Eternal, Impenetrable Darkness

There ya go - fit that in a 180 gal. tank LOL

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
cenecker said:

There ya go - fit that in a 180 gal. tank LOL
LOL, I was about to post that pic. Actually I think the first two pics are tropicals, they were in an article about them on garfishing.com . Either way, those gars were caught in Central America, but they think that there may be an isolated population of Alligator gars there in addition to tropicals.

EDIT: Just took a closer look at the first pic, and it's a tropical for sure... I can see the characteristic "trident" on the top of it's head. The best suited gar for "smaller" (but still very large) tanks would be the Shortnose, in captivity they'll only hit about 2'. Floridas and spotteds can get to 30" or 36" as The TRUST said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store