Anemones and other things

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
Hello. As I said in my intro thread I am starting a salt water tank from a marine land 12 gal salt kit. I have some limited experience with salt water already... had a snow flake eel in my tank for a while in my marine bio class back when i was in high school...but that was a while ago and it was about as basic as can be....
So most of my questions right now revolve around anomones... i love em and want one in my tank but I know very little about them.... what would be best for a 12 gallon and a black clown fish (can't remember how to spell the name...it's false pericula or something like that >.>) what do they eat? The manage at our store gave one a feeder fish once but I would imagine some sort of salt water fish would be better... do the frozen silver sides work?
When my good computer is fixed I will get a picture of the ones at work...we have a few different kinds but they are all labled as "long tentacled anemones" -_- and there is one i really like. We also have carpet anomones that I think are just awesome and was wondering if those could be in the tank as well or...what... lol
I am not even sure what is important to ask or not so any and all information is greatly appreciated!
As I get things going and checking out more salt water critters I will ask more specific questions about species and such.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I hate to be the barer of bad news but neither a clown nor an anemone will do well in a tank this small. Most common anemones require minimum 30gal some requiring much more as they can get up to 3' in diameter. I wouldn't recomed a black ocellaris in a tank under 15gal and thats even pushing it I would preffer to put one in 20+ gal.

There are fish that can go in a tank this small... but they are mostly gobies, and blennys.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Kevin8888;4316976; said:
I hate to be the barer of bad news but neither a clown nor an anemone will do well in a tank this small. Most common anemones require minimum 30gal some requiring much more as they can get up to 3' in diameter. I wouldn't recomed a black ocellaris in a tank under 15gal and thats even pushing it I would preffer to put one in 20+ gal.

There are fish that can go in a tank this small... but they are mostly gobies, and blennys.
Maybe a false percula could work in that tank? But that would be it.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Heathd;4317405; said:
Maybe a false percula could work in that tank? But that would be it.
You could possibly get away with a tank bred clown in a 12gal, but not with a anemone, the tank is to small.

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
Really? Even smaller anemones? I didn't realize they needed that much space.
Oh well that can wait till later, I definitely plan on having much larger tanks in the future...amongst the rest of my zoo.... this is just what i have to work with right now.
So what are some bright unique fish or inverts that would do well in a tank this size?

fishy12

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
ohio
I say just get hermits and other crustacians like sea slugs n such

Sylvias

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2010
Somewhere
I could always make that one a marine planted tank i guess with a small colorful fish here and there.... Although I know very little about freshwater plants as is, nothing at all about marine ones....

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Sylvias;4318474; said:
I could always make that one a marine planted tank i guess with a small colorful fish here and there.... Although I know very little about freshwater plants as is, nothing at all about marine ones....
Freshwater planting isnt hard, it can just be time consuming.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
It's partly due to the fact they like excellent water quality, high light, general space requirements. IF you got the right veriety then MAYBE you could house one in a tank that size... but it would have to be a small veriety, but off the top of my head most small ones dont host most clowns...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store