$100 3800 GPH sump pump with auto shutoff floats

CyberPunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Moses Lake
So I was at a store called Big R today and they had these 3800 GPH sump pumps for a great price and with a 3 year warentee. They also came with auto shut off float valves. Well I was getting ready to setup my new sump for my 600 gallon tank and in the manual it says"This pump is not sutable for aquatic life".

This is a wayne submersable sump pump.

here is a link to them.

http://www.waynepumps.com/index.cfm/product/44_6/cdu790.cfm

Is this not safe to use in my sump??? How come? :confused:

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
CyberPunk;4313836; said:
So I was at a store called Big R today and they had these 3800 GPH sump pumps for a great price and with a 3 year warentee. They also came with auto shut off float valves. Well I was getting ready to setup my new sump for my 600 gallon tank and in the manual it says"This pump is not sutable for aquatic life".

This is a wayne submersable sump pump.

here is a link to them.

http://www.waynepumps.com/index.cfm/product/44_6/cdu790.cfm

Is this not safe to use in my sump??? How come? :confused:
because of the non magnetic drive that uses grease for lubricant...

they will dump a ton of heat into the liquid they pump...

that and the fact they are not 100% duty cycle...

Sump pumps are designed to set in a basement sump and when the water level rises, the float valve turns the pump on till the water level lowers then shuts off...they are not designed to run 24/7

Just stick to what the longtime fishkeepers use...they use them for a reason... ;)

CyberPunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Moses Lake
zennzzo;4313855; said:
because of the non magnetic drive that uses grease for lubricant...

they will dump a ton of heat into the liquid they pump...

that and the fact they are not 100% duty cycle...

Sump pumps are designed to set in a basement sump and when the water level rises, the float valve turns the pump on till the water level lowers then shuts off...they are not designed to run 24/7

Just stick to what the longtime fishkeepers use...they use them for a reason... ;)
ahhhhh ok, thanks for the info. I seen sump pump and I was buildin a sump so figured it would work, haha. Oh well live and learn, I shall return the pumps tomorrow.

Thanks!

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
CyberPunk;4313863; said:
ahhhhh ok, thanks for the info. I seen sump pump and I was buildin a sump so figured it would work, haha. Oh well live and learn, I shall return the pumps tomorrow.

Thanks!
Pump(s)??!?
how big of tank are you filtering?
a pair of 3800gph pumps are going to put out alot of water...
IMO, you'd need at least a pair of 2" overflows...
got pix of your tank and sump?

CyberPunk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2010
Moses Lake
zennzzo;4313869; said:
Pump(s)??!?
how big of tank are you filtering?
a pair of 3800gph pumps are going to put out alot of water...
IMO, you'd need at least a pair of 2" overflows...
got pix of your tank and sump?
Its a 600 gallon acrylic tank thats going to be stocked with rays.

I was going to do a sump without drilling or using an over flow by using float shutoffs. So one pump brings water into the sump and another pumps it out, but if the sump was to get over filled or under filled one pump would shut off.

The tank has a internal wet/dry filter but it only holds like 20 gallons of media.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store