The 240 Is finally up and running!!!

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
So I have a couple of threads open on my 240. I bought it about 6 months ago from a craiglister fore 250.

Here is the first thread when I got it.
New 240-- First Thread -- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289971

It had a broken center brace and I started a thread over me repairing it. It worked out really well. I hope It has help other people with this kind of repair.

Here is the link
240 Repair-- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306205

So then I found some MONSTER driftwood for it and here is the thread of me finding it, trimming it, and cleaning it.

Here is the link
Monster driftwood for the 240--
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323173

AND NOW its finally running. Not as quickly as I would have hoped and its not nearly complete or where i would like for it to be but it is getting there slowly but surly.

FILTRATION- I ended up going with two XP3's I hope to either add one more in the future or a 45 gallon sump I have at my dads.

THE STAND- I found the stand on a local fish form out of Houston. A guy was getting rid of it for 40 bucks. I didn't fill comfortable with how it was built so I beefed it up with a lot more studs and spines, done with 5 inch lag bolts counter sunk. This however is a temporary stand. Me and my dad are working on a Permanent stand for it. It will be done in blond wood and a dark stain. The top will be stained poured concrete. It will be dressed with crown molding and the canopy will be attached by columns that hug the corners of the tank. It will have a lot of storage under it. It will have a 4 foot slide out platform that the sump will sit on. It will slide completely out for easy access. and in the top of the canopy Is where the lights and air pumps will be housed.

THE LIGHTS - I grabbed some high output double tube 48 inch lights for a fish shop in Houston for a fair price. These things were ugly though, But it didn't matter because they were going to be housed up in the canopy and out of sight. However I didn't realized that the stand would take so long to get finished so I made a box for the lights to sit in on top of the tank. Simple, not much to it and i just painted it black.

SUBSTRATE-- I ended up going with pool filter sand because it was so cheap. I eventually want to get black moon sand. Anyway I got 200 pound of sand and I think I might need one more 50 pound bag. I put the sand it a big rubber-made container and shoved a water hose down in the bottom of it and let the water flush the sand for about 15 mins. However I'm thinking that I didn't clean it near as long as I should. The tank is still ver cloudly and It has been 12 hours.
Any suggestions? How long does it usually take to settle and clear up?

I think that is about it let me know what wall think!

Here are some pics

S5031035.JPG

S5031036.JPG

S5031038.JPG

S5031039.JPG

S5031041.JPG

S5031043.JPG

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
Here are some pics of the tank after it has been running for 12 hours

S5031044.JPG

S5031045.JPG

S5031047.JPG

S5031048.JPG

S5031049.JPG

smpage

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2007
Idaho Falls
That driftwood is freaking awesome! The sand will take some time to settle. you can help it by doing continuous water changes until it does. That speeds up the process considerably.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
I have decided to change the stock to cichled tank. Prob about 100 of them and a peacock eel, a shovel nose cat fish and a few plecos. but who knows depends on what i come across it might change! haha I have also thought about throwing a soft sell turtle in there a few have come up on craigslist.

juneblood3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Double Rainbow
barracuda123;4317266; said:
are they rena xp3's?
yes.

NICE Setup. :headbang2 I just setup a 240 about 2 months ago with a 50 gallon sump and 2 fx5's. i like your dw its the only thing that my tank is missing im waiting for the perfect piece.

zebvance

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2009
College Station TX
thanks i want one more xp3. That drift wood took a while to find and i knew it was perfect

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store