Seeding a new setup to speed up a cycle?

Addikted2Cichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2009
Northern Italy
I am setting up a SW tank for the first time and was wondering if I would be able to take the bacteria from my cichlid tanks filter and use it to seed the new SW tank, or would the different water parameters just kill off the FW bacteria?

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
The quickest way I know of is using the live rock like mentioned above. You can also add a market prawn in there and let it decay to give the bacteria some extra food. I have not tried that personally but have heard lots of people who do. I simply put the live rock in and waited. Took my hundred gallon about 3 weeks. You can also get a cup full of sand from another saltwater fish keeper in your area. I would only do this if you know them well enough to trust what you are putting in your tank though.

jbrownkha

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
Louisville, KY
Go to you LSF and ask them to wring out the media from the filtration system into a bag and add it to your tank. Basically you want everything that is trapped in the foam or floss from the filter. It is dirty water and probably smells a little but will seriously speed up the process. Cut my time in half.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
jbrownkha;4362991; said:
Go to you LSF and ask them to wring out the media from the filtration system into a bag and add it to your tank. Basically you want everything that is trapped in the foam or floss from the filter. It is dirty water and probably smells a little but will seriously speed up the process. Cut my time in half.
I would not do this if you value your tank...LFS are full of parasites/diseases/pest...thats why we QT new fish when we get them. God only knows what would come out of a LFS. live rock + time = win.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store