Fresh to Salt without changing the water???

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Hey guys ok i need some help here am going to be moving my RTC to my other pond (1,000gallons) and the babby to a friend for awhile. Anyway am going to be changing my 2,000gallon to salt. Is there a way to change the fresh to salt? can i use some kndof "Aquarium Salt" to convert it? and when i do water changes how many gallons do you guys recomend i take out? am going to stock 2 Batrays and 2 Sharks(i forgot the name ill post it here). Thanks guys! :nilly:

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
I suppose you could just add the salt to the water, not really recommended, but given the volume you have, it might be worth a shot. It says on the bag/box/bucket of marine salt was the ratio is: I found it was 2 1/2 cups to a 5 gallon bucket, which works out to, I believe, 1/2 cup per gallon? (Not very good at math).
You will also need to mix it up somehow. I used a small powerhead, but given the volume you'd have to mix, you're going to need a BIG pump.
The worst thing that can happen, imo, is you have to drain the pond and start over, which, if you did it the "right" way you'd have to do anyway.

As for water changes, it's pretty much the same as a freshwater system: Ideally, 20 percent a week, which in your case would work out to -- 200g? (again, not good with math)

HTH. Good luck

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
EastBay;4326727; said:
I suppose you could just add the salt to the water, not really recommended, but given the volume you have, it might be worth a shot. It says on the bag/box/bucket of marine salt was the ratio is: I found it was 2 1/2 cups to a 5 gallon bucket, which works out to, I believe, 1/2 cup per gallon? (Not very good at math).
You will also need to mix it up somehow. I used a small powerhead, but given the volume you'd have to mix, you're going to need a BIG pump.
The worst thing that can happen, imo, is you have to drain the pond and start over, which, if you did it the "right" way you'd have to do anyway.

As for water changes, it's pretty much the same as a freshwater system: Ideally, 20 percent a week, which in your case would work out to -- 200g? (again, not good with math)

HTH. Good luck
ok thanks for the feedback! but i dont understand (red). So i should drain the pond and then refill it with the water and salt at the same time? and i can get IN the pond and mix it if i need to do that and then have a power head with me and just go around the whole pond mixin it all.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
im thinking you should just start over. im in the same boat but with a smaller tank i i still would change out the old water.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
okay so drain it get the marine salt and add it ALL at once.... ohhh man this is gunna be a pain! and 2 batrays and a leopard shark and silver smoothhound shark will be ok in 2,000 gallons?

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Zfishies;4326899; said:
okay so drain it get the marine salt and add it ALL at once.... ohhh man this is gunna be a pain! and 2 batrays and a leopard shark and silver smoothhound shark will be ok in 2,000 gallons?
The shark may be okay, but batrays? Batrays are huge dude, they reach well over 50lbs in a few years. Plus I go fishing for them, and they are tasty. :D

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Zfishies;4326958; said:
anyone selling LOTS of marine salt? called up my LFS and they said $450 for that much salt i need:cry:
now you will also need half that much salt every time you change the water...i think you are in socal so just get a stock tank and put it in the back of a pickup truck and get it from the biggest supply for FREE...at least that is what my cheap ass would do...lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store