What filter for 50 gal marine?

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey guys, just filled my 50 gal cube tank and have the water at about 1.023 sg. I have a koralia pump, and I'm wanting to do fish and coral. What filter should I get? I've gotten suggestions of penguin bio-filter and fluval 305. I have more experience with the fluval cannister filters, but I have no idea which type would be better for a reef tank.

Help? :)

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I would go with a reliable manufacturer and a filter that will get you as close to as 10x turn over rate as possible.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
But if you're choice is either the Penguin or the Fluval, go with the cannister. Has a lot more area to work with and gives you a lot more option with media -- including using "homemade" media such as scrubbies or lava rocks or anything else with.

Whether power filter or cannister, just remember to clean it out often because SW tanks have all kinds of nasty gunk that gets drawn out of the water.

Which is the reason The Canuck suggested the sump/refugium and I third the recommendation.

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
The only problem is, the stand that me and my dad built for the tank only would accommodate a unit underneath that is at most 18 in. long . I love the idea of a refugium, much more than a normal cannister filter though.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store