My 500 Gallon 8' x 4' x 25"

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Hey all. My new 500 gallon glass tank is almost ready. Here are some shots of the tank and equipment acquired along the way as well as some demolition shots of the work needed to get it into the basement.

The stocklist is this (fish are waiting in a 150 to be moved in the next few days to the 500)...

1x Florida Gar - 11"
2x Longnose Gar - 12", 11"
1x Shortnose Gar - 8"
1x Spotted Gar - 12"+
1x Golden Florida Gar - 10"
1x Tropical Gar - 18"

1x Black Arowana - 12"
1x African Arowana - 16"

1x Australian Lungfish - 21"

1x Marbled Pim Catfish - 14"
1x Marbled Pim/TSN Hybrid Catfish - 6"

1x True Hystrix Ray - 6"

3x Korean Perch - 7"-8"

(pictures of my fish are in their respective sub-forums as well as the photo lounge and video lounge. I am also still debating giving my Fly River Turtle another chance in the 500 gallon, he bit most of my gars tails up in the 150 and I am trying to blame it on a lack of space as opposed to turtle aggression. He probably won't make it to the big tank, which is a shame.)

--

Substrate is going to be about an inch of mixed sand, Caribsea "Sunset Gold" and "Tahiti Moon Black" spread across the bottom with some big driftwood in the center. I have about two hundred pounds waiting to be mixed.

The tank arrives...

Moved to the garage from the truck... 8' x 4' x 25" = about a thousand pounds of glass. Resting on its side for doorway maneuverability.

The tank is fitted with two corner overflows drilled for sump filtration as well as return holes.

Lighting for now is two 4' fixtures from Home Depot. I'll upgrade or downgrade as needed once I see how it looks with water inside.

Sump is three feet long, loaded with bio balls for now and fitted with two 250 watt heaters and a 2400 GPH pump.

Getting it from the garage and through the 4' wide breezeway into the house and down into the basement was stopped only because the door to the garage was too far at an angle from the door to the house. I was so worried about the width of a 500 gallon tank not making it through the doors that I never considered the length might be an issue.

My girlfriend said we could always set it up in the garage. I decided to ask my friend the All-Saw what it thought about that idea.

--

Tank will be holding water by Monday. Just waiting for the finishing touches on the custom stand that my buddy is helping me build at his workshop. Can't beat 150 dollars to build an 8 x 4 stand.

Keep your eye on the thread for eventual full-tank shots with the stock inside...
[YT]SwtzFpEW4H8[/YT]

- Michael

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Thanks Clyde. Took down about three smaller tanks in the finished & carpeted fish room in the basement. Can't wait to fill that space up with this monster.

My 150 gallon is a ticking time bomb, arowana and gar are slowly turning on each other in the cramped space. Tropical gar has taken over the tank and frayed almost every other gars tail.

Needless to say I kicked this project into overdrive when I saw the ensuing chaos...

UncleClyde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2010
Wisconsin
Madding;4331330; said:
Thanks Clyde. Took down about three smaller tanks in the finished & carpeted fish room in the basement. Can't wait to fill that space up with this monster.

My 150 gallon is a ticking time bomb, arowana and gar are slowly turning on each other in the cramped space. Tropical gar has taken over the tank and frayed almost every other gars tail.

Needless to say I kicked this project into overdrive when I saw the ensuing chaos...
I know the ticking time bomb part. When my 450 got dropped and broken, all my fish had to get put in my 150, and it didnt take long for them to turn on each other. Fins were nipped, even my lungfish had a tenticle nipped off. Even had one younger gar jump out and almost die.

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
A. IMPORTZ;4331429; said:
wow nice!Who built that tank for you?Local company?
Glasscages actually. This is about as big as they go with glass. I paid a handful for shipping, but their tanks are affordable enough to even out in my opinion.

kallmond

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2009
Hanover, PA
Whats your plan for cleaning/decorating/reaching the bottom of that monstrosity? I'm not sure i've ever seen grippers long enough to reach the bottom of a 4' deep tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store