Live sand question

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
So I'm getting myself in gear and breaking down my freshwater tank and converting it to a saltwater setup.

It's going to be a 90g with a overflow and wet/dry 20g sump for filtration.

So far the list of things i need are

Protein Skimmer
live sand
live rock
salt water :)

I've done quite a bit of reading, but I think I'm starting to confuse myself.

So my question is about the Live Sand.

Someone offered me a lot of live sand at a pretty fair price, but the only problem is it's been out of water.

Now is it still considered live cause it has bacterial growing on it or is it considered live because it's porous and allows bacterial to grow on it? Can I just buy that sand and store it while I mix my salt water or is that sand useless now?

Would love any feedback, I'm so new to saltwater it isn't even funny.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Its called live sand because of the bacteria that exist with in it, since its been out of water for a while, its just sand...:)

If its calcium carbonate/aragonite, I say go for it (if you are getting it cheaper then you can at the store).

Even disturbing and transporting "live sand" that has been submerged in salt water while it being moved will have a certain amount of die off.

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
If what I'm getting from your comment is true then the dead sand + some cured live rock + time will cycle the tank properly. This will in revive the dead sand am I correct?

Can't wait to sell all my freshwater fish off and start the conversion.

Thanks for the reply Heathd

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Be a little careful because if this live sand came from his tank it could possibly be extremely dirty and cause problems with stability

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
I think it's pretty much dead at this point as it's been out of water for a few days.

Will rinsing the sand out help in clearing out the contaminants or should I just buy all new sand?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Personally, I'd just got buy new dry sand and cycle the tank yourself.
If you do get the used stuff, soak it in freshwater for three or four days, then rinse it REALLY well.
When you do add the 'live rock', make sure you are feeding it a source of ammonia. If you don't give the bacteria something to consume, it will die off.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Make sure the live rock is good before adding anything as well.. I bought "live" rock from somebody who i thought was reputable and turns out it was bad and sent my ammonia through the charts.. Killed all my fish

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
I am planning to add live sand and live rock first. Then after everything has stabilized I'll add fish.

I was going to use either fish food or the dead prawn trick to feed ammonia into the tank. It'll be weeks before I add any real fish anyways, but thanks for the heads up.

Now the real question is will I ever stop throwing money at this hobby?

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Fractal;4338406; said:
I am planning to add live sand and live rock first. Then after everything has stabilized I'll add fish.

I was going to use either fish food or the dead prawn trick to feed ammonia into the tank. It'll be weeks before I add any real fish anyways, but thanks for the heads up.

Now the real question is will I ever stop throwing money at this hobby?
Depends. You gonna step into coral? Thats where most my money goes towards :D

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
Haha no corals for me yet. I'm just doing fish with live rock for the time being. That should satisfy my need to fiddle with my fish tanks :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store