Need Help.! ick problem

spoon..!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
united states
!! Can you guys help me.!!

Well i Have a 40 gallon tall tank its my salt water tank and some of my fish are getting ick .. i was wondering if you guys know any good way of getting rid of ick..

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
copper or hyposalinity are pretty much the only reliable options to completely get rid of it imo

spoon..!

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2009
united states
Thanks snyder810. do you know if this a good ick solution

well i went to the pet store and they gave me this ick solution its called Mardel its says its Coppersafe For ick,Velvet and other external parasites.. you guys know if this is a good solution for getting rid of ick let me know..

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
spoon..!;4339245; said:
Thanks snyder810. do you know if this a good ick solution

well i went to the pet store and they gave me this ick solution its called Mardel its says its Coppersafe For ick,Velvet and other external parasites.. you guys know if this is a good solution for getting rid of ick let me know..
if you want to go the copper route i'd go for Seachem's Cupramine if available. it tends to be the easiest on fish, but if it's not an option coppersafe does work but it can be rough on certain species (lionfish/puffers). you'll also want a test to read the amount of copper in the tank too much will kill the fish to little won't clear up the ick. and remember copper will kill all inverts in the tank as well

when i had to treat my tank i went the hyposalinity route as it's easier on the fish (but still kills inverts because after all that's the goal).

ps: after clearing the display of ick the best way to treat it from here on is to prevent it through good quarantine. it'll save you money/time/and heart ache

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
spoon..!;4339295; said:
were can i get copper or hyposalinity.
your coppersafe that you bought is a copper medication.

as for hyposalinity it can't be bought, as it consists of lowering the salinity of your tank down to 1.008-1.009.

a few words of advice
1. you can only do one or the other don't try to combine the two
2. hypo is easier on the fish but takes longer to complete. if you go the hypo route you'll need a reliable way to test salinity so we're talking a refractometer not a hydrometer.
3. hypo only works if you're sure it is actually marine ick (only works on a few select parasites ick is one),
4. copper will kill pretty much all parasites, is quicker, but is harder on the fish
5. both treatments will kill all inverts in the tank and possibly any macroalgae growing as well

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store