i have a question...

STXman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
lake forest,ca
i was reading in this marine book and said for a reef tank there should be two inches of fish for every ten gallons???? idk if this is true so i asked you guys.....i have a 75 gal and i did the math and i would be only allowed (according the the book) to have 16 inches worth of fish.......if you guys would be kind enough to tell me if this is true or if this is just a caution i should take when applying fish to my tank..... any reply is thanked.....:headbang2

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Why doesn't overstock their tanks :D IMO if you can keep good water chemistry and don't have super aggressive fishes killing each other it should be fine.. Just don't put a bull shark in a 20 gallon

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
because with a reef, you need optimal water quality. Most true reefs don't even have fish in them. By true i mean exotic corals and coral enthusiasts. They are much different than fish keepers, and yes that is true. So people take other measures to compensate for having so many fish... hardier corals, better systems, more water changes, etc.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
TheCanuck;4341323; said:
because with a reef, you need optimal water quality. Most true reefs don't even have fish in them. By true i mean exotic corals and coral enthusiasts. They are much different than fish keepers, and yes that is true. So people take other measures to compensate for having so many fish... hardier corals, better systems, more water changes, etc.
Thats just because no one spends as much time researching as me :p you know my tank is going to be rediculus with exotic corals and huge fishies :) That being said I also plan on introducing my corals before 90% of the fish, and intend to allow them to grow for a few months so they are healthier before I add in the random variable of fish.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Kevin8888;4341349; said:
Thats just because no one spends as much time researching as me :p you know my tank is going to be rediculus with exotic corals and huge fishies :) That being said I also plan on introducing my corals before 90% of the fish, and intend to allow them to grow for a few months so they are healthier before I add in the random variable of fish.
exactly, it takes careful planning to do so ;). Many don't understand "true" reef keeping. There are corals out there that cost as much as houses.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Those are usualy large though :p or extreamly unique, I intend to start all from frags many unique but many boring ones as well :p.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I'm considering a 3' carpet nem :p, Though I have to be careful what I choose that requires high lights, as there isnt that much room for high light corals, only about 7.5sq feet of room for them :p lol.

STXman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
lake forest,ca
kk thanks guys i take it that it is just a caution i should take im not doing a lot of fish tho compared to the tank sized like ten fish for my 75 gal and the rest corals and stuff...and for the coral that costs as much as a house thats just insane......hahaha

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Personaly the most expencive I've seen was 600 and it was truely unique, though I've seen some listed at 500+ that where just LSP corals with abnormal shapes aka not worth 500+ they where unique colours so maybe 100-300$ but not 500+ lol though thats all about being a smart consumer lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store