Is it really that hard?

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
Well I have done fresh water for a really long time now and it seems like everyone thinks that salt is a lot more difficult than fresh. I would like to try a salt water tank soon but not if it is really that difficult. If it is why and if its not why does everyone say it is?

Bazinga

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
toronto
its not that hard, i did it and as long as you have the $$ to use its easy but again once its all set up and running its easy

biohazardcustomz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2010
illinois
i asked the same question at my local fish store to an experienced saltwater keeper and his exact words was " the first few months are hell, after that its simply heaven." i like his theory but ehh... i havent done it because of all the extra stuff and lights etc. it is expensive. but saltwater fish are sooo friggen cool!!!!!!!!!!

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
It's because 10-20 years ago it was hard, but we didn't have the knowledge we have now. Like the others said first little wile is hell but once set up correctly it runs itself more or less. But at the same time higher setup costs.

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
I have an extra glass 30g cube laying around what would it take to set it up as salt? And what would be the easiest beginner way to set it up?

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
It's a lot less forgiving that's for sure. A mistake (overheating, over dose, etc...) or two can cause crashes within hours.

snakebite22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2008
USA
LOL I work at a LFS and get asked this question ALL THE TIME. I've done fresh water tanks for 15yrs and finally 2 yrs ago decided to go salt and I haven't turned back. The only thing harder about saltwater is the start up cost. The only thing that would be "harder" would be a reef tank and that's not harder just more work with all the chemicals you have to dose with for the corals. I say do it and have fun...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store