Enough light?

bbboys

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2008
San Diego CA
I have a 30g cube and I would like to convert it into a sw tank. Its lights are the Current Satellite Dual 40 watt with a moonlight. I was wondering if these lights are any good for corals or anything. And does the tanks weirs shape change how many watts per gallon you would need? They are these http://www.current-usa.com/satellite.html the 20" model. Are they any good?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Power compacts are normally good for most soft corals, but they wont cut muster on lps and sps.

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
Don't know if what you have would even be good enough for soft corals. You say it's a dual 40? So that would make it a total of 80w? While it may be antiquated, that's little more than 2 watts per gallon. I believe you need closer to 4 or 5 watts per gallon for softies and LPS and a lot more for LPS.

But like I said, most people don't use the watts per gallon formula anymore, but it gives you an idea of what you need.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
EastBay;4350593; said:
Don't know if what you have would even be good enough for soft corals. You say it's a dual 40? So that would make it a total of 80w? While it may be antiquated, that's little more than 2 watts per gallon. I believe you need closer to 4 or 5 watts per gallon for softies and LPS and a lot more for LPS.

But like I said, most people don't use the watts per gallon formula anymore, but it gives you an idea of what you need.
I think if he places the corals in the middle to top region of the tank, and adjust the flow accordingly, he could get away with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store