Easiest Marine Setup

MattDunbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Brampton, ON, Canada
I have to admit, even to aquariums in general, I'm still quite new. I have my first FW aquarium which I have successfully cycled.

I'm quite interested in setting up a salt water tank in the next short while, but I am unsure of what I need.

I'm looking for something with minimal maintenance (however, I understand that its required, and I WILL be doing it as necessary).

I have gathered that I'll need quite a few things, but I'm not sure what exactly.

I am looking at a 75g tank.

As per filters, I was thinking of an Eheim 2215, but is it worth while to upgrade to the 2217?

Do I need an air pump? Do I need power heads? Do I need a protein skimmer (if so which one/what do I look for in one)?

What else do I need?

Does anyone have any basic information on live rocks?

Lastly, what should I budget for a 75gal tank (besides the tank itself), for new stuff?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Filters aren't the way to go with SW, the "filtration" so to speak is done by the live rock and live sand (live rock IMO isn't as important as the sand, but is best to have some, 30-40 lb min for that tank).

You shouldn't need an airstone. You need powerheads you want around 10x the volume of the tank flowing an hour so around 750gph, Or you can have a sump which has returns that flow 750gph trough assorted outlets (known as a manifold return).

You don't NEEED a protien skimmer but they are a good idea, or you can use an algae scrubber instead, or in addition to a skimmer.

What do you want in it? If you want corals you will need powerful lighting, minimum T5s prefferably MH.

As for minimal maintience, I suppose fish only with live rock would be least maintinance as fish are better at dealing with slightly (and I mean slightly) worse conditions then corals. But generaly speaking salt water fish and corals require perfect water.

Budget... depends on live rock and sand costs.... to get rock at the prices I pay (which are bad)... your looking around $600 just for the rock, around $100-$200 for the skimmer, powerheads around $60-$100 (I recomend two 450gph nano hydor koralia), salt cost depends as you can buy it in bulk (which is best as you need to do water changes), you will need a heater... possibly a chiller if your house gets hot in the summer (but since your from ont. it wont get to hot and if you have AC your good to go likely) but if you need one its going to cost around $800+.

Suffice to say startup isn't cheap.

MattDunbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Brampton, ON, Canada
Regarding the huge price of rock, I've heard that a combination of cheaper rock (not sure what in particular, similar to the lava rock in my FW tank) and a small amount of live rock (e.g. 1-2lbs). I have been lead to believe that given enough time, the living things which make the live rock live, will spread onto the lava rock. Is this correct? If so, how long would it take 2lbs to spread across 60-70lbs of "non-live" rock.

Also, live sand... what are the prices of that, and will that likely be avail at my LFS (I know they have a salt water section).

I doubt I'd need a chiller, as the temps here are around 23c at the warmest (thanks to ac).

Heres what I've figured so far:

====================
Live Sand: Unknown??
Live Rock: Depends on above questions.
Aquarium: $250
Power Heads: $86 Hydor Koralia 4: (1200 GPH) -- is that too much, or okay?
Protein Skimmer: $250 -- Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel-125 Gallon

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
If you're just going with a fish only with live rock set up, you can use base rock or dead rock -- both formerly live rock -- and add the regular live rock on top of it. It will eventually seed the base rock, but will never be as "live" as the live rock. I mixed both and didn't have a problem.

The packaged live sand at the LFS, at least in my neck of the woods, runs about $25-30 for a 10-pound bag. You can save some money if you can find crushed coral sand -- the fine stuff, not the super course stuff -- works just as well as the packaged stuff, minus the beneficial bacteria. But that will quickly grow once you start cycling the tank.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Yes, you can use "dry/base" rock as the majority of your rock, the only downside is the longer time for them to become "live" therefore less biofiltration on the short run so longer cycle but thats really not that big a deal. But costs on dry and base rock can still be reasonably high, but I usualy see it around 2-4$lb. I couldn't tell you how long it would take, if you do the "piece of shrimp" or "feeding the empty tank" cycle it shouldn't take tooo long but not really sure. I'd suggest more then 2lb I'd say go around 5-10 min just to be safe/speed it up, but it's really up to you.

I'd say thats to much flow, the reason I suggested 2 small ones is then you get a more consistant flow instead of areas of high and lower flow that you get with a single, so not nessisary just nicer. Go with one of these if you only want one, http://www.reefconcept.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=37_144&products_id=2269

You can usualy get Caribsea sand at most salt selling LFS, my prefferd sand being "Sugar" sand it usualy retails either at or just under $1 a pound, you will want around 1-1.5lb per gallon. Just get it "dry" and let it become "live" with the cycle of the tank (cheaper that way) though caribsea also sells "live sand" for around $2lb.

MattDunbar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2010
Brampton, ON, Canada
Does this sound about right:

Live Sand: $150
Live Rock: $50 -- 5lbs@$10/lb
Rock: $100 -- 50lbs @ $2/lb
Aquarium: $250
Power Heads: $150 -- undecided, but $150 seems to be a generous budget
Protein Skimmer: $250 -- Coralife Super Skimmer-Needle Wheel-125 Gallon

$950 total - does that cover everything? Any suggested cost cuttings?

SnaKeheAdSrAwSomE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2008
wherever god takes me LOL
I've heard that it is unwise to cut costs on a new saltwater tank because it could be detrimental in the long run. just saying. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store