Keeping and Swimming With Sharks?

iHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Okay, lets say you are keeping a full grown Whitetip Reef Shark, 1-2 very large Stingrays (debarbed), Potato Cod, Humphead Wrasse, and A LOT of Triggerfish, question I want to ask is, will the Stingrays and Shark eat all the fish that are under 50 cms long? And is it dangerous to swim with these animals? I will be keeping LOTS of fish that are around 30 cm, it will be an eco-system tank, but the sharks/stingray will be fed with food that is not in the tank, but frozen food or live food, because if you left them to eat from the tank they would leave only a bloody mess. And DW about the size of tank, I got that fully covered.

1. Is it safe to swim with Ray/Trigger Fish/Whitetip Shark
2. Are 10-50 cm fish safe from these animals?

Gprime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2008
Ottawa
as long as the fish can swim faster/turn faster then the shark can they should be fine given they have hiding spots. and why would you want to swim with them? why would you tank the risk and introduce yourself into the tank.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
Gprime;4368877; said:
as long as the fish can swim faster/turn faster then the shark can they should be fine given they have hiding spots. and why would you want to swim with them? why would you tank the risk and introduce yourself into the tank.
zoos and major aquariums have staff that do it all the time. so long as you're in a wetsuit (in abig enough environment) and are clean whe you get in there is nothing wrong with swimming with the fishes. And tbh the wet suit is there to prevent anything on you from appearing like food to the fish.

an example is when i was snorkeling in jamaica and these little damsels though my chest hair were tiny worms, hurt like a b***h when they pulled it out. lol

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Sharks rarely attack people. Zoos do this all the time. I have done this in the wild. A good person to chime in on this would be zoodiver. You could ask him about diving with sharks. I would do it with a snorkel. Have fun with your pets. No worries, shell be right.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
i'd say depending what type of triggerfish you plan on keeping they'd pose the greatest risk of you being bit. some of them are just nasty

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
Don't worry about the tanksize? I might not have, but since you brought it up... how big is it?

iHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
lujor;4371476; said:
Don't worry about the tanksize? I might not have, but since you brought it up... how big is it?
Well if I wanted to build a tank that big it would go well into the ten thousands, its an indoor pool, 10 meters by 10 meters and 4 meters deep at all parts (already cycled to remove chlorine and renovated to work as a pond) I am going to add live sand at about 30 centimeters deep at all points and turn almost all of it into a reef tank with certain corners that are just sand. The parts that will have reef corals will be on a hill that is made of sand so it will stick higher, there will be lots of live rock and the sand is aquarium sand (not just any random ones).

I am trying to create an ecosystem situation where I will only feed the shark.

1. I just want to know are all the fish in this list able to out swim sharks or be too big to be eaten by them? If not, tell me which ones please.

2. And also can all the fish in the list survive in an ecosystem situation with only the fish/plants of that list? If not, what fish needs what to survive?

3. And another question, can I just empty all the plankton into the main tank and let them breed there or do I have to keep adding new plankton that have been bred outside of the tank (same question for Brine Shrimp)?

4. If Whitetip Reef Shark are harmful what other Shark can you keep (which looks like the common shark) that is completely harmless to humans?

[WRASSE]

x4 Humphead Wrasse
Size:

x20 Rockmover Wrasse
Size: 30cm

[PLANKTON]

Phytoplankton
Size: Micro

Zooplankton
Size: Micro

[TANG]

x20 Convict Tang
Size: 20cm

x16 Blue Tang
Size: 30cm

x20 Naso Tang
Size: 39cm

x20 Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Size: 39cm

x20 Purple Tang
Size: 25cm

x20 Yellow Tang
Size: 20cm

x16 Unicorn Tang
Size: 60-64cm

[SPONGE]

x50 Tube Sponge/Vase Sponge/Yellow Sponge/Red-Tree Sponge/Painted Tunicate
Size:

[ANGEL FISH]

10x Emperor Angelfish
Size: 38cm

10x Queen Angelfish
Size: 45cm

[GROUPER]

Panther Grouper
Size: 50-70cm

[SHRIMP/SNAIL/CLEANER CREW]

x600 Glass Shrimp
Size:

x600 Brine Shrimp
Size:

x10 Cleaner Shrimp
Size:

[OTHERS]

x20 Longfin Bannerfish

x8 Clownfish (Ocellaris) (+ANEMONE)
Size: 10cm

x50 Mandarin Fish
Size: 6-8cm

x8 Picasso Triggerfish

x4 Harlequin Tuskfish

x10 Giant Puffer Fish Arothron Stellatus (I am pretty sure these guys poison can kill you but just wanted to make sure)
Size: 120cm

Potato Cod
Size: 150-200cm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store