eel encyclopedia help. general id'ing buying guide

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
i am heavily interested in getting an eel. im still searching and browsing and studying on which one. i am willing to just keep it solely if necessary. is there a site where i can see all the eels like and encyclopedia of some sort? that would help me greatly.

i seen these and are interested in them.

Leopard Eel
Tesselata Eel
Snowflake Eel
Zebra Moray Eel
Yellowhead Eel
Moray spotted
Black Edge Moray Eel
Spotted Snake Eel
Jeweled Moray Eel
Chainlink Moray Eel

i have a 125g long tank. i was considering a snowflake eel but i might just change my mind on that. what is a more heavy bodied eel that cost less then $100 that would be fine in my tank. non pebbled tooth is preferred if you can. good looking

SharkBait101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yeah, I've heard that snowflake eels are easy to take care of. They're pretty cheap if you ask me. I've also heard stories about how eels can escape their tank and end up dead on the floor. What ever eel you choose, be sure that the top is completely sealed up.

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
TheCanuck;4373377; said:
spotted moray. Great eel.

Super nasty

Fimberated/golden head moray
spotted eels are on the list. if a golden head is the yellow head then thats on the list too. im not too sure on the other common names as i need an encyclopedia. i really would like to see all the eels to choose from. i had a chance at someone local selling his Brazilian dragon moray 3 foot adult. it doesnt look like its gonna happen though. your green moray is nice and i seen one for sale but they grow to large. that would have been a quick pickup as its near perfect but the size. i just cant house them.

SharkBait101;4373754; said:
Yeah, I've heard that snowflake eels are easy to take care of. They're pretty cheap if you ask me. I've also heard stories about how eels can escape their tank and end up dead on the floor. What ever eel you choose, be sure that the top is completely sealed up.
yes, ive own a snowflke as my first eel before. smaller type eel that is good looking. they are very hardy animals too. i dont think im gonna get another though. want something a little more exotic. i do have a few inches on the back of the tank. hope they dont try and escape. i know they will try though.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
beex215;4373941; said:
yours? yes cool
hehe no, this is a viper moray. I had a species of viper moray that was 3 ft purple mouth that my green wanted for dinner so i had to turn him over to the lfs where he found a great home.

He was given to me for free from another lfs that had him in a 75

beex215

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2006
usa
o so thats a viper. like no one has those since they are super rare expensive. if im reading things correctly those and chest nuts are in the same level of rarity.

no wonder people would get those, just look at it.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
beex215;4373996; said:
o so thats a viper. like no one has those since they are super rare expensive. if im reading things correctly those and chest nuts are in the same level of rarity.

no wonder people would get those, just look at it.
Enchelynassa canina

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11PXS_iqh6E

While they are not that rare in the ocean, you can obviously see why they are rare in capturing and selling :naughty:

I was trying to order one forever, never turned up. One day I'll have one when i personally fly to Hawaii and pay some guys to get me one.

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
I have a 125 with a snowflake eel. He is around 9" and a model citizen that gets fresh market shrimp once every otherday/two days. He is curled up sleeping with my Niger Trigger right now...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store