Nessecary Equipment?

lol555

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Byron Bay, Nsw, AUS
Hey, am going to set up a predatory salt water tank and was wondering what equipment i will need to do so,
tank is 55 gallonss,
planning on keeping a Volitan Lionfish and a Snowflake Moray eel in it.

Ty.

TaylorD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2010
Canada
There is a lot of things thats more or less personal choice then whats actually needed.
Your going salt water, so a good filter..(sump wet/dry), p.skimmer, power head, heater, good set of lights, and canopy...

I'm actually going to be getting into SW myself here really soon, so on that note I'd take info from other users with a LOT more exp. then me.. however, we will be on the same page soon ~ and also looking for updates.

Best of much, and please do get some pictures up when you have the chance

Thanks, Taylor

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
What are the dimentions of the tank? because I know they say a volitan can live in a 50, but I personaly feel they are to small... the volitans can get as big as a basket ball, so they need a taller tank then most 50gals offer I have seen more then one adult volitan swiming around with his fins out of the water, wile almost touching the sand at the bottom. If you aren't set on a volitan I would recomend a slightely smaller lion but just as impressive, the radiata lion
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+241&pcatid=241
Equipment, you will want a skimmer, you will want some sort of flow mechanism (pumps and/or powerheads) for 10x volume flow an hour so around 550gph, you will want biofiltration (live rock, sand, biomedia in a sump etc), a sump is always a good idea with preds, basic lighting so you can see your fish haha, heater... that basicaly covers it... feel free to ask more.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
yeah for a 50 why not dwarf lion? they max out at 7" and will fit much better in the area

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
yogurt_21;4383542; said:
yeah for a 50 why not dwarf lion? they max out at 7" and will fit much better in the area
Dwarfs aren't as nice as radiata which is why I recomended them haha, though another nice one is the antennata.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
If it is a standard 55, then it is going to be 12d x 20h x 48w

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
Kevin8888;4383519; said:
What are the dimentions of the tank? because I know they say a volitan can live in a 50, but I personaly feel they are to small... the volitans can get as big as a basket ball, so they need a taller tank then most 50gals offer I have seen more then one adult volitan swiming around with his fins out of the water, wile almost touching the sand at the bottom. If you aren't set on a volitan I would recomend a slightely smaller lion but just as impressive, the radiata lion
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+241&pcatid=241
Equipment, you will want a skimmer, you will want some sort of flow mechanism (pumps and/or powerheads) for 10x volume flow an hour so around 550gph, you will want biofiltration (live rock, sand, biomedia in a sump etc), a sump is always a good idea with preds, basic lighting so you can see your fish haha, heater... that basicaly covers it... feel free to ask more.
I agree.

Refractometers are a good thing to have. Way more accurate than hydrometers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store