Plumbers Goop?????

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
So I visited a few LFS's today since moved here not too long ago.

Went to this ugly looking building but was surprised to see good stock in the store.

But anyway, the guy showed me his breeding area and noticed one of his breeders. It was a 40 gal breeder.

The side panel had been broken in an X shape. But... it was held together with some sort of glue. Asked him WTF it was and he said it was plumbers goop and its held that side panel together for 10 years.

He then showed me one of this 180's that "had a fish eye" on the bottom panel towards the back that he just covered with plumbers goop. Been like that since 2002.

Anyone have any experience with this stuff. It seems... strong as ****

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've seen people mention using it when sealing ABS tanks and plywood tanks. Of course, what I am thinking of is called Amazing Goop.

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
I thought plumbers goob was something that you put on joints for water tight seals in sumps and wet drys, something that would replace nylon tape. I didn't think it hardened.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
Chromobotia;4384359;4384359 said:
I thought plumbers goob was something that you put on joints for water tight seals in sumps and wet drys, something that would replace nylon tape. I didn't think it hardened.
This was definitely hardened... very very hard. ...

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
dbcb314;4384401; said:
This was definitely hardened... very very hard. ...

I don't doubt that one bit. My father-in-law helped me set up the plumbing for my 500. I was going to use nylon tape for the joints to make sure they were water tight. He suggested some "goob" that he had and I swear that he called it plumber's goob.

Chromobotia

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
Southeastern PA
I just did a search for "Plumber's Goop" and the 1st couple of sites I went to talked about a product with a super tight grib that would adhere to anything. This is obviously not the stuff that I was referring to.

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
jschall;4384440; said:
Plumber's goop is really good stuff, but I don't think it's fish safe.

He not only had fish int he tanks, but he was successfully breeding them. African cichlids in the two tanks I saw but he said he uses it "a lot."

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
"Plumbers Dope" is the stuff that doesn't hardened and is used to make seals, if not water tight, at least from leaking.

Is the stuff you're talking about like two different colored sticks of "clay" that you mix together and then press into whatever you're trying to attach?

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
EastBay;4385871; said:
"Plumbers Dope" is the stuff that doesn't hardened and is used to make seals, if not water tight, at least from leaking.

Is the stuff you're talking about like two different colored sticks of "clay" that you mix together and then press into whatever you're trying to attach?
There's a version of the "amazing GOOP" line of glue that is called "plumber's GOOP."

It's not for use on potable water lines. It IS amazing stuff, adheres to basically ANYTHING. It hardens to be pretty hard, but still flexible. It is usually removable when reasonably fresh (few weeks) by just peeling it off. Dries translucent white.

And yeah, I'm sure the fish are alive. Doesn't mean they haven't been affected.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store