Feeding Large SW

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Hey guys, just picked up a grouper and a trigger. Just wanted to know what you guys are feeding. Im gunna be giving the guys krill and silversides...maybe soaked in selecon to start with. But Id like to have a more diverse diet than that. What do you guys feed to keep the triggers teeth in check. Thanks in advance

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
FLESHY;4387150; said:
Hey guys, just picked up a grouper and a trigger. Just wanted to know what you guys are feeding. Im gunna be giving the guys krill and silversides...maybe soaked in selecon to start with. But Id like to have a more diverse diet than that. What do you guys feed to keep the triggers teeth in check. Thanks in advance
puffers are really the only ones with teeth problems. The triggers will grind them down on rock is they need to. I have never seen or heard of any trigger needing to file down teeth though. If it makes you feel better, asian markets have mussels and clams still alive in their shell.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
What are you putting these guys in? I thought you were setting the 100gal up as a reef tank?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I hadnt heard of teeth problems either, till I started reading on wet web media...something I encourage everyone to do regardless of level of expertise in the hobby. Its a great resource, and when I dont know where to start, I go back to the beginning and that happens to usually start at WWM. There were several posts suggesting that something be feed to keep the teeth in check. I had a niger once before, but never had teeth issues. But I always try and learn more.

Now that thats said and done...what are people feeding their groupers and triggers to offer a well rounded diet? WWM didnt really touch on that, but they did manage to say over and over again that krill and silversides were not adequate by themselves.

Heath. Are you being nosy? They are in a 125...Im just playing around with it because I dont have the money for nice lights, so I re-did things a little in there...and well...there will be updates to my thread. I paid $25 for both fish. Pays to be in the business is all I can say. The trigger has some scratches on his side, and was acting a little funny. Im hoping all that goes away. Thanks so far guys!

Oh PS...for those worried about tank size, I do NOT plan on keeping these fish to maturity. Im going to enjoy them while I have them and trade them in for store credit before they get cramped.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
frozen mussel still on the shell, market shrimp shell on, squid (for me the frozen chunks they sell at aquarium shops in the flatpack), pellets (i've seen and had quite a few that'd eat pellet), algae sheets (i've had triggers that love em and others that won't touch em), krill, occasionally scallops, i've tried sardines but wouldn't recomend em they're real oily, rarely a crab of some sort usually a dead fiddler

* this was for triggers i haven't a lot of firsthand experience with groupers

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4388038; said:
Heath. Are you being nosy? They are in a 125...Im just playing around with it because I dont have the money for nice lights, so I re-did things a little in there...and well...there will be updates to my thread. I paid $25 for both fish. Pays to be in the business is all I can say. The trigger has some scratches on his side, and was acting a little funny. Im hoping all that goes away. Thanks so far guys!
Of course I am being nosy.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Heathd;4389092; said:
Of course I am being nosy.
Ha ha good.

snyder810;4388966; said:
frozen mussel still on the shell, market shrimp shell on, squid (for me the frozen chunks they sell at aquarium shops in the flatpack), pellets (i've seen and had quite a few that'd eat pellet), algae sheets (i've had triggers that love em and others that won't touch em), krill, occasionally scallops, i've tried sardines but wouldn't recomend em they're real oily, rarely a crab of some sort usually a dead fiddler

* this was for triggers i haven't a lot of firsthand experience with groupers
Awesome, thanks! Im going to try and find squid around here...maybe petco has it. Otherwise Im going to have to road trip it to fosters & smith.

Other than that update on the trigger is this. He was lying on his side behind some filter intakes...and there he stayed. Didnt seem natural, and obviously the abrasions were a concern. Then I brought down some selecon soaked mysis for the panther grouper...and when I squirted it in the water, he snapped out of it, and actually ate! Good sign, as he ate a lot, explored the tank, and picked around at some stuff. He then found a hole on the top of a rock, picked at it for awhile, and lodged himself inside it. Cant really see if he is breathing so we will know tomorrow whether or not he made it.

Grouper stayed up until I fed him some krill. It was a tiny piece, but he had a hard time with it. I left for awhile, and havent seen him since. Hopefully I did not kill my little baby. Just wanted to get some food in them as they were both very skinny. We will see how many fish I have tomorrow I guess.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store