10 gallon saltwater tank?

fatdoggy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2009
New York
hey guys so i have an extra 10gallon tank sitting around, i have 75 gallon and ten gallon freshwater tanks currently running and i was wondering if its possible to start a saltwater tank with just a ten gallon tank and what i would need to start it along with what fish can live in such a small environment, i allready have the tank, heater and filter
i belive all id really need is a hydrometer, salt and possibly a protein skimmer?
any way is it possible to have a 10galln saltwater tank?
any input would be helpful thnx!

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
yes it is very possible to have a 10gallon salt, you just have to pay more attention to little details because it's such a small amount of water to work with. as far as fish there are a lot of little goby's that'd do well in a 10gallon, maybe even a little basslet.

as far as equipment check out the mass amount of other threads that've asked the same thing and you'll get the idea, just for you it'll be on a smaller scale

itzchrissmeng

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2010
(909) Rancho Cucamonga SoCal
Its basically a nano reef type of set-up. look around with searching what could be put in nanocubes and you'll have your stock list. It all depends on what you feel like doing. I would really reccomend a lid/hood with lights. since its pretty small. you could lose alot of water to evaporation which changes your salinity constantly which makes you NEED to top-off compared to freshwater

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
you would need a lid if not atleast a condension tray in a nano you with out a lid you would not be able to keep up with evaporasion and salt would build up quite quick you allso need some sort of pump like a power head as well as a filter you could do maby a pair of common clowns or 2-3 damsils keep away from tangs and angel fish they need loads of swimming room

SpJc11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2009
CT
monsterberry;4389252; said:
you would need a lid if not atleast a condension tray in a nano you with out a lid you would not be able to keep up with evaporasion and salt would build up quite quick you allso need some sort of pump like a power head as well as a filter you could do maby a pair of common clowns or 2-3 damsils keep away from tangs and angel fish they need loads of swimming room
NO. do not put a clownfish in this size tank. Same with the damsels. try gobies. there are tons of them. clown goby for example

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I know people who have done 10g saltwater tanks and basically had it be plug and play...not really much work at all, but you have to do it right. They seeded and cycled their tanks from mine, and just kept it simple. One damsel...some liverock and some soft corals. You can do more obviously, and push your limits farther, as your experience, or your wallet warrants.

Lights are cheap at www.aquatraders.com and most of my friends that have done this have used them for these 10g reef applications. Has worked well. Use the 37w on my planted 10g.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
No clowns or damsels are recomended for 10gal, they will get to big, SW fish need room to move. The only options are gobies, 1 or 2 verieties of cardinals, and a few types of bleenies. Period. Nothing else will do well long term in a 10.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
You realize there are damsels that dont get larger than an inch...not to push any buttons, but I have seen it work. Thats all Im saying.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store