PFS/Aragonite mix substrate?

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
Ok so when I set up my FOWLR tank I kept my 50/50 mix of PFS/Aragonite sand bed, was this a mistake? I was reading how silica can cause mondo algae problems and was wondering if the PFS would cause high ammounts of silica in the water? Could it stress the fish also?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
All pool filter sand that I have available to me in my area contains silica.

And after some research on whether or not it will cause stress I found this:
"Silica sand and crushed or fragmented shell have a high soluble phosphate content. Further, silica sand will compact, creating anaerobic zones. Neither should be used in a marine aquarium"

So if that is true, then yes it will stress your fish. Phosphates can cause your pH to swing up, blocks calcification which is bad for invets that require shell growth, and is also a nutrient for cyanobacteria. It says it is soluble, which would mean to me that it would soak it up and then leach it back into the water once it reaches a certain saturation point.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
well I did more looking into this and apparently I need to move everything, drain the tank scrape it all out and replace it with good ol' aragonite sand. What a PITA...should have done more reading. Thanks for the advice though.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Yea...+1 to heath. All sand is going to contain silica though...best bet is to wash it really well.

+1 for what the website said about fine sand compacting...causing anaerobic areas and BGA...stay away from fine sand, esp with a FOWLR...in my mind.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Not a problem man. When I set up my first salt tank I used PFS and had nightmare algae problems.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4391757; said:
Yea...+1 to heath. All sand is going to contain silica though...best bet is to wash it really well.

+1 for what the website said about fine sand compacting...causing anaerobic areas and BGA...stay away from fine sand, esp with a FOWLR...in my mind.
I ordered 160lbs of fine aragonite sand a few weeks back, going in a 75, for a DSB. :naughty:

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
At least its not fine sand...that **** drove me crazy. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and said the word DSB and he didnt know what I meant...stopped me and said "Deep **** Bed?" I laughed pretty hard.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
hahaha

this is pretty fine stuff. I have ran several different calcs with info from diff places, and some calcs say its enough some say it isnt.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
Well I got all the LR/fish xfered into the 55. (I always forget how little 80 lbs of LR is.) I picked up 80 lbs of aragonite sand for the 90, and some diatom powder, I know its going to make a mess but hopefully the diatom filter pulls the fine sediment out pretty quick. I know it is a slight risk but the crushed coral/shell/aragonite bag that was 4 bucks a bag cheaper seemed to have a lot of sharp stuff in it that might cut up my maroon clown who likes to dig, and my puffer seems to like bedding down in the sand somtimes as well so I just got the sand.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
The easiest thing to do is to put a clean trash bag over the substrate, fill the tank, and then remove the trash bag. That will help with all the kick up and crap you will experience.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store