55g Moray Eel?

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
I hate making another thread but I'm pretty sure this is the last one :wall: I'm going to try out Saltwater, So I have to have something aggressive (As Usual) so the only thing that can work seems to be some sort of Moray Eel, I was told Yellowhead Moray eel but I want to see if there is anything else I don't know about. And please no Snowflakes eels!!! :nilly: Anyway it's going to be a reef so that the eel can tunnel through the live rock and I also wanted to know if a Niger Trigger could work as well or maybe some sort of lion fish. Please guys go soft on me here because I'm an extreme saltwater noob so please show some sympathy. I really appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me so far and I greatly appreciate all the help ahead of time. Also I would like some information as to what kind of equipments I will need such as Protein Skimmer,Powerhead,Best kind of live rock,Best kind of lighting,UV sterilizer? I really have no idea on this stuff so it's all up to you guys. :D:D:D

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
hey i was gonna start salt too! i'll just sit back and watch the replies...sorry for no info at all

but i do believe that some dwarf lions can live in a 30g

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Well i hate to burst your bubble but a yellow head moray wouldn't work out for long. They grow fast man and get a good 3ft. They need about a 100-125 for the future. If you wanted a trigger get an undulated. They stay small and take forever to grow. Plus they are the NASTIEST trigger even found. Also for moray i suggest a jewled moray. They have the teeth and are beautiful eels.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+1689&pcatid=1689

For filtration, sump if possible. Canister would do, or even some HOBS but its always to get the best you can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORALIFE-SUPER-...0527887388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_947
Here is a skimmer for decent price.

You will need 40lbs or more of sand. Petsmart sells good cheap saltwater sand. Its important to have to have good sand.

Live rock you wont really need if you have enough bio in your filters. Sure you will want some but you can substitute live rock with base/lace rock. Just soak it for a week in freshwater then put it in your tank.

Check out my yellow head moray.

post-12044-1251276193_thumb.jpg

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
TheCanuck;4391250; said:
Well i hate to burst your bubble but a yellow head moray wouldn't work out for long. They grow fast man and get a good 3ft. They need about a 100-125 for the future. If you wanted a trigger get an undulated. They stay small and take forever to grow. Plus they are the NASTIEST trigger even found. Also for moray i suggest a jewled moray. They have the teeth and are beautiful eels.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+29+1689&pcatid=1689

For filtration, sump if possible. Canister would do, or even some HOBS but its always to get the best you can.

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORALIFE-SUPER-...0527887388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0#ht_500wt_947
Here is a skimmer for decent price.

You will need 40lbs or more of sand. Petsmart sells good cheap saltwater sand. Its important to have to have good sand.

Live rock you wont really need if you have enough bio in your filters. Sure you will want some but you can substitute live rock with base/lace rock. Just soak it for a week in freshwater then put it in your tank.

Check out my yellow head moray.
I knew you would bring the good info :D I saw the Jeweled Moray and that is deff an option, HOLY **** that is an expensive skimmer lol, I can find one cheaper on Craigslist for sure. I still kind of liked the look of Live rock better the base or lace rock but they are always an option. So the Undulated Trigger could live with a Moray? Oh and I saw reefs2go had a "Leopard Moray" which looked pretty cool and it said that the minimum tank size was 50g's for life is that true? A sump is a no no right now since I'm not very good at running them plus it's alot easier to get a few HOB's or a Canister. I also noticed later I got some bad info on the Yellow Head Moray from another bad site but no worries because I was seeing more pics of them and they kinda looked like a Snowflake eels which I extremely disk like.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Leopard morays are usually laced and tesselatas. They are all the same thing, and all very wrong on info usually. In this video these are 3-4ft sharks. These eels are easily 5ft or more and a good 30-50lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mUrcjaHAQ8

You should save your money, cause my skimmer cost me 150$ for my 55 gallon. Coral life is just about as cheap as they come. You may be able to find one of craigslist but if 80$ is a lot of money you better save some more cash before you start the project. The sand and water will cost you more than that.

Don't underestimate the yellow head moray. They are nasty eels!

images.jpg

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
TheCanuck;4391276; said:
Leopard morays are usually laced and tesselatas. They are all the same thing, and all very wrong on info usually. In this video these are 3-4ft sharks. These eels are easily 5ft or more and a good 30-50lbs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mUrcjaHAQ8

You should save your money, cause my skimmer cost me 150$ for my 55 gallon. Coral life is just about as cheap as they come. You may be able to find one of craigslist but if 80$ is a lot of money you better save some more cash before you start the project. The sand and water will cost you more than that.

Don't underestimate the yellow head moray. They are nasty eels!
Ok so I just found a 55g on craigslist with everything I need including sump for $190, My budget is $200 but the tank comes with some little fish that I could trade in at my LFS for one of there Jeweled morays. Good deal?

BlackShark11k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
somewhere
An $80 skimmer expensive? LOL. So when you say reef are you thinking about corals? Just the lighting unit on my sw tank was like $250 haha. Or are you thinking more so a pred tank with just the eel and trigger? For filters I wonder if you could use an aquaclear 110 they"re only 30-50$ on eBay. For live rock just go to your lfs and pick up some cured live rock.

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
BlackShark11k;4391308; said:
An $80 skimmer expensive? LOL. So when you say reef are you thinking about corals? Just the lighting unit on my sw tank was like $250 haha. Or are you thinking more so a pred tank with just the eel and trigger? For filters I wonder if you could use an aquaclear 110 they"re only 30-50$ on eBay. For live rock just go to your lfs and pick up some cured live rock.
Well expensive on my budget, I think I need something better than an aquaclear 110...

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
why not try a freshwater moray eel they need brackish

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
lulz...