start of a cyano problem

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, I just recently set up a 50 gal marine tank. Its been running for 2.5 weeks with a aquaclear 70, and nano koralia, with a cheap 6500k clamp lamp on it. it just started showing some signs of what i believe is cyano on the sand. I just got my new custom sump/refugium yesterday and hooked it up, and a koralia 750, still awaiting my better lighting. Just wondering if theres anything I can do for the cyano, I have about 20 hermit crabs in there and 2 large nassarius snails

Thanks!

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
heres a pic of the sand bed, with what I believe is the beginning of a cyano problem, also on some of the rock I can see some brown coloration on certain spots, matching that of the stuff growing on the sand :/

Ocean Blue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2006
So. CAL
Cyano is red. What you are getting is diatom, which is brown. Don't worry about it just let the tank cycle some more. Add snails, especially nerites or cerite works like a champ. You can minimize brown algae by using silica absorber such as phosorb but it not really necessary. Just change water and don't feed too much and your the algea will subside.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
As stated its not cyano. Its diatoms and its completely normal, all new tanks get it so its a good sign because your tank is beginnign to mature

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
All new tanks have Diatom blooms so it's perfectly normal. It's just a sign that your tank is cycling. It will go away soon enough.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store