just bought a 240, need help stocking!

cubs fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
chicago
hey guys,
i just bought a 240g tank and i'm going to be doing a FOWLR set up. what do you guys think about stocking this with 5-6 triggers and 5 yellow tangs? i know triggers are really aggressive but with all this room i feel they can get along. i think it'd be great to have all these triggers and then a school of yellow tangs swimming around the tank. i'm open to suggestions, too.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
Well triggers will eat your inverts if your doing reef, you should do like 2 triggers 5 yellow tangs and 1 Unicorn tang IMO that would look awesome idk though if that's enough room am sure other people will come in lol

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I dont know about that many triggers even in a 240, I think it would get real nasty real quick.

I guess I will wait and see what TheCanuck has to say. He is pretty spot on when it comes to pred tanks.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
cubs fan;4394232; said:
hey guys,
i just bought a 240g tank and i'm going to be doing a FOWLR set up. what do you guys think about stocking this with 5-6 triggers and 5 yellow tangs? i know triggers are really aggressive but with all this room i feel they can get along. i think it'd be great to have all these triggers and then a school of yellow tangs swimming around the tank. i'm open to suggestions, too.
Excellent size tank, and I'm pretty sure its possible, I seem to remember reading a thread about someone with 9 in a slightly larger tank... but I'll let those with more trigger experience chime in lol.

Zfishies;4394312; said:
Well triggers will eat your inverts if your doing reef, you should do like 2 triggers 5 yellow tangs and 1 Unicorn tang IMO that would look awesome idk though if that's enough room am sure other people will come in lol
Gotta read the post more carefully, he said FOWL as in only fish and live rock, so inverts aren't a concern. That said, you could probably put cleaner shrimp in, as most fish wont touch them as they know they are helpful not food. As for unicorn tangs... I would say no, they get up to 2' long so even if its a 240L they would only have 4 swim lengths to before turning, they are way to big/active for almost any tank, maybe a 12' tank but not an 8'.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
as far as the triggers go it's still very questionable because it may seem like a lot of room, but 12-18" fish make space disappear quickly.

i also see having your "school" of yellow tangs ending in disaster as well. they're very agrressive towards each other and 5 just doesn't seem like enough to get cohesion amongst them, i would suggest adding a few more to be safe

harry1227

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2010
usa
Hey when I had a salt water tank with more than 1 trigger they usually use to fight each other ..till 1 eventually was killed ..if i were you just do 1 triggers , 1 grouper , and 3 yellow tangs , and 2 hippo tangs

PayaraMan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2009
Where Palm Trees Grow
I say you get 1 Cherry Skunk Grouper, 1 Panther Grouper, 1 Niger Trigger, 1 Undulate Trigger, and 6 Yellow Tangs. A bit overstocked but I think it would work.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
a good stock would be - 1 telessa moray, 1 picasso trigger, 1 clown trigger, 1 queen trigger, 1 porc puffer and a giant cowfish (kidding about the cowfish)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store