Mixing salt makes NH3/4?

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
Ok, I have been wondering why I cant get a clean reading for NH3/4 on when I do a WC. I circulated fesh water dechlorinated with prime in my rubbermaid 45g trash can (used only for WC's) after 24 hrs the water showed NO ammonia. I mixed in the propper ammt of salt mix and 30 min later I tested the same water and got a 1ppm ammonia reading with an API and Tetra liquid test kit. This happens both with Instant Ocean and Coralife Salt mix. Any reason why this could be happening?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Did you test the water before the salt was mixed in with a freshwater or saltwater test kit?

I dont believe that salt mix should be adding any ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Its possible the salt is "dirty" but its more likely that your water has contaminants in it, you may not notice them when you do your first test but they will show up when you thuroughly mix the water to make the salt. Also since its not RODI water, the little algae/bacteria that are in all tap/well water (small amounts but they are there), will die when you mix the salt in, resulting in ammonia.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Some salt mixes will result in small amounts of nitrate. But I would think that it was more likely that your water is just high in nitrates. Try doing half and half with some R/O water maybe...but first get a freshwater test kit to make sure thats the problem. :D

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
yea I tested the tap before I mixed the salt...no NH3/4 then after mixing there is NH3/4

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Check to make sure that your salt mix promises no NH3/4...instant ocean has something on the label that says it.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
FLESHY;4398320; said:
Check to make sure that your salt mix promises no NH3/4...instant ocean has something on the label that says it.
yup, two diff brands of salt say the same thing. I can only guess that there is something in my tap water that is some sort of reaction that releases NH3/4 after I mix the salt into it......I guess I need an RO/DI unit.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
The only other thing I can think of is that maybe your test kit is bad...check the dates on that. Otherwise some LFS's sell h2o. Ro units arent that bad though, I would go ahead with that right away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store