Brown algae (diatom) outbreak

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Hey everyone, I've had my tank up and running for about a month now.
At first I had lil bits of diatoms showing on the sand and non-live rock in very small quantities but that was fixed by adding more sand sifting snails.

Recently I've had a huge outbreak of brown algae on my non-live rock and my sand bed. It has happened after I got my 4 chromis. I have a number of different sand sifting snails as well as astrea snails going around on the tank walls. Also I've been noticing for the past 2 days there is a flaky material coming out of my sump return flow back into the water. They arent micro bubbles, they look like a very very small flake. The green chromis in there seem to pick at it then spit it out.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I know my lighting is poor at the moment, only 6500k, I am awaiting my 10k/actinic t5 fixture in the mail. I have a koralia 750 and a nano koralia creating flow in the tank. Dimensions are 24" wide x 24 " tall x 18" deep .

Thanks!

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
also, the chaeto in my refugium doesnt rotate at all, and I can't tell if its growing since I got it a week ago or not. Should I put the nano Koralia in the sump/refugium and try and position it to increase the flow and make the chaeto spin?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
The out break of diatoms after adding the chromis is just a result of increase bioload resultiong in algae food creation, it will go away after a wile with water changes/cheato absorbing, snails etc. As for the gunk coming out of the returns... no idea lol. "Poor" lighting at this point is a good thing, as more light will help the algea grow lol. As for getting the cheato to spin... couldn't say never used it.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Happened when I started my tank... and added my first set of hermit crabs. It went away after a couple weeks.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Luxauterna;4410247; said:
also, the chaeto in my refugium doesnt rotate at all, and I can't tell if its growing since I got it a week ago or not. Should I put the nano Koralia in the sump/refugium and try and position it to increase the flow and make the chaeto spin?
I have a maxi jet underneath my chaeto and it constantly moves the chaeto. The intake is on the other side of a canvas so it cant suck any up. It is much better to have a ton of flow on it.

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
tetraking: what type of conditioner are you talking about?
canuck: with the flow in the sump, ive heard mixed opinions about wanting flow to be low in a sump as opposed to fast, but I know its better if the chaeto rotates in the refugium. What do u think? think the nano koralia would work? Ill try and take a pic of my sump tomorrow and post it. THx guys , a lot!

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Luxauterna;4410900; said:
tetraking: what type of conditioner are you talking about?
canuck: with the flow in the sump, ive heard mixed opinions about wanting flow to be low in a sump as opposed to fast, but I know its better if the chaeto rotates in the refugium. What do u think? think the nano koralia would work? Ill try and take a pic of my sump tomorrow and post it. THx guys , a lot!
Well my nitrates went down and my chaeto grew faster when suspended and rotating.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Luxauterna, welcome from Stevens Point. The brown alage is usually diatoms, and the snails you have should take care of that. The brown algae usually goes away by itself anyways.

Was your filter used before on saltwater tanks? Could it be salt creep or old coraline algae? Those are my best two bets. I think that your chromis are picking at it just because they are curious.

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Fleshy, thx for the welcome from Madison. The sump/refugium was not used before, it was custom built for me. I have no idea what the flakes are. Hopefully when my protein skimmer comes in, itll take care of it.

Luxauterna

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
well I tried getting the flow in the refugium to make my chaeto spin using the nano koralia, annnnnd it didnt :/ i moved it all over in different directions and it just moves it around not causing it to spin. So I don't know what to do about that, canuck maybe you could put a picture up of how you did it? Annd the flakes are definitely coming from the bottom of my sump, they are lil white flakes and i can see them in the return area too getting sucked up into the main tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store