Expense

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
money is the only thing stopping me from starting a saltwater tank. it's a whore aint it?

I was thinking, wouldn't it be wierd/cool to set up a saltwater tank like a freshwater? you could trick people and save some money, but than who doesnt want coral?

ShadowVengance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
your house
but than the fish are more expensive and arent as hardy. (please convince me not to like saltwater, it'll just make me crave it and i'll need to be put in a padded room lol)

Dargath78

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
In general the fish are more expensive, but many of the monster freshwater fish we want aren't all that cheap either.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
If you're thinking of starting a SW system on a tight budget, you may as well stick with FW. The number one cause of failure for people starting out a SW system is going cheap or lowest rate on the equipment. Do the research on the best equipment for the set up you want and save for it. Or buy the equipment piece by piece until you have everything needed to set the system up. Mostly, resist the temptation to start buying any fish that catches your interest and stick to the species that fit your plan. It'll save you alot of headaches later.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Even if you go temparate local at least twice as much per gallon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store