hob fuge wont fit on 28gal nano.do i need to use skimmer?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
on my 28 gal nano i want to add better refugium, the build in 1 isnt the greatest.

so i ordered a cpr hob fuge with lighting and of course with my skimmer it wont fit.

my plan is to run miracle mud with cheato and calerpa algae. ive heard many people run a refugium and dont use a skimmer. i dont think i can run both. id like to but not sure if can fit them.

opinions?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I would say you dont need both. Primary purpose is removing organics either way. Only problem is this. I have run tanks (reefs even) without skimmers and I got a nasty surface scum. Didnt like it one bit, and it was a pain in the butt to "manually skim" which wasted a lot of my time every week.

That being said I always recommend skimmers...but maybe you could do a DIY aquaclear fuge? I have been looking into it ever since heathd posted it, maybe he will post it on here again. That might save you some space...I am going to build two myself for my top secret project...but Im going to do a better job. So sooner or later there will be a DIY thread on here about it. :D

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
I did order an aquaclear. The small one with a 18w light I've been thing of a way to run both the skimmer and fuge but I don't think it going to happen. I should've just ran a small sump in the cabinet. Not to late just more money

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
I should've bought a bigger tank to start out with. Ohh well. This tank is way to small for my likings.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
I have a fuge with the AC 70. Seems to be working great as far as I can tell. Got the AC for 25 shipped when big als had that sale

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
new plan.. i think im going to send the hob fuge back. im am going to do a custom refugium in the stand. something small maybe 5-10 gal. 300gph. ill use the lighting i have. all i will need is an overflow and return pump. i can do about 13"lx10"wx10"h.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4411231; said:
I would say you dont need both. Primary purpose is removing organics either way. Only problem is this. I have run tanks (reefs even) without skimmers and I got a nasty surface scum. Didnt like it one bit, and it was a pain in the butt to "manually skim" which wasted a lot of my time every week.
That is discouraging as I was going to do an ATS with no skimmer and maybe some macros in the fuge on my sump. Was it a lack of surface agitation that was leading to this scum buildup?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have all sorts of surface agitation...it was a long time ago though. Who knows. I wasnt the reefer I am today thats for sure.

Good luck with the new system mos...my plan now is to build an aquaclear to have mechanical, chemical, biological, AND fuge action. These guys should be sweet when I am done with them. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store