Some questions about maroon gold band clowns.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
I have a maroon gold band clown who is doing great, he/she/it is about 2 3/4 - 3" atm and removeing the substrate from around his/her LR cave as we speek. I was wondering if I leave this one charicter as the only clown in the tank will he/she automatically grow to be a large female? Or could he just stay a smaller he?

Also despite the fact that my Condy Anemone is doing well my tank is still quite new and I want to wait a few more months before trying to keep a bubble tip. If I were to get a bubble tip for him do you think he would quit being a digger fish? And how much of a snack risk do you think I would run with haveing a porcupine puffer in the tank?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
With Maroons the dominant fish in the system will become a female, and unless I am mistaken, will be permanently changed that way.

This being said, maroons like to play with the substrate, and I think that she will do this regardless of whether or not you have an anemone.

Lastly Maroons are pretty feisty, and unless there was a large size discrepancy I doubt that the porcupine would give her much trouble.

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
FLESHY;4411186; said:
With Maroons the dominant fish in the system will become a female, and unless I am mistaken, will be permanently changed that way.

This being said, maroons like to play with the substrate, and I think that she will do this regardless of whether or not you have an anemone.

Lastly Maroons are pretty feisty, and unless there was a large size discrepancy I doubt that the porcupine would give her much trouble.
LOL cool, I dont mind watching her play in the sand it's pretty entertaining. So will my clown become a she if she is the only one? or are they a kinky fish and only take on the female gender if she has somone to dominate?

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
My maroon's sand digging got to me so bad i went bare bottom cause it kept covering my corals. At that size its most likely a female for sure since its alone and it can't change back either.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
shua71;4411511; said:
My maroon's sand digging got to me so bad i went bare bottom cause it kept covering my corals. At that size its most likely a female for sure since its alone and it can't change back either.
If a single maroon is left in a tank by itself, (and it has not already had its sex determined) it will obviously become the dominant clown and be female. Once changed female, they can never change back.

My brother had a maroon in a 125g tank that would pick up sand and spit it at the glass when you walked into the room. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store