Native question

tommyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Connecticut
How big of a tank would Black Fish, Porgies and perhaps some ocean perch need?

Any suggestions as to other native fish I could catch and place in a tank? I've had a bluefish. He was doing great in a 90 gallon growout until my cat got him. Not catFISH, CAT.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I honnestly couldn't say... most of the members here keep reef fish, and then others keep sharks/rays and even the occational baracuda, but I haven't seem much else... I'll do a little digging see if I can find anything.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Those fish get pretty big. We are talking public aquarium stuff...or at least a big custom tank. I dont really know why you would want to go through all the effort and cost to build a tank to house these, but I would say that something in the 5,000g range might be acceptable.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't say they are THAT big, but you would need at least 1000gal 12' tank, probably better to go with 2 or 3k average size of most of those fish is between 1' and 2' and they active, so small tanks would be highly confining.

tommyd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Connecticut
Porgies grow up to 13-14 inches tops. Black fish a bit bigger and ocean perch, much smaller......

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
This fish is going to want some room. Personally if the fish cant swim at least 4x its body length...its too small. That means you want probably at LEAST an 8ft long tank thats at least 4 feet wide. Its an ocean tank, so it should also probably be pretty deep. The blacks are going to need big space to look/behave cool/naturally.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
tommyd;4414812; said:
Porgies grow up to 13-14 inches tops. Black fish a bit bigger and ocean perch, much smaller......
That depends on which porgies your talking about lol there are ones that get to 15" then ones that get to 24". I looked it Up, all these fish are at least a foot (or almost if we are talking all verieties of porgis/perch), but don't spend their time sitting on reefs, these fish move, alot and fast. Either way need long tank, they aren't like large freash water fish, the don't chill in lakes and ponds, you also need to find out what temperature these fish preffer, as many are "cold" water, in your area, meaning below 70f, which means you would need to run a big chiller on there so they don't get hot in the summer. There are alot of things to consider with salties.

kdrun76

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2009
CT
All 3 are game fish. Unless you have a permit there are minimum size requirements and a season for which you can posses them. That includes a fish that you caught in season of the correct size... you HAVE to release it during the non season!!!
Regulations:
Blackfish (Tautog)
Minimum length: 14 inches
Daily creel limit: 4 fish per angler Season: Open Jan. 1 - April 30 and
Oct. 1 - Dec. 6
Daily creel limit: 2 fish per angler Season: Open July 1 - August 31

Scup (Porgy)
Minimum length: 10 1/2 inches
Daily creel limit: 10 fish per angler
Season: Open May 24 - Sept 26
Party/Charter:
Minimum length: 11 inches
Daily Creel Limit:
10 fish per angler,
June 8 - Sept. 6
40 fish per angler,
Sept 7 - Oct. 11
Season: Open June 8 - October 11

White Perch
Minimum length: 7 inches
Daily creel limit: 30 fish per angler
Season: Open Year Round

Taken from :http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=2696&q=322740&depNav_GID=1647

White perch are your best option as they only get to be 7" and are legal year round. However they are a schooling fish so you will need to get 8 or 10 of them.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Though after all my comments I have to restate that I don't know these fish, everything I said, I got from a quick bit of research about the fish, so my info may be a little off in one way or another. I hope you can find the info you are looking for so you can succesfully house the fish of your choice. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store