New to Saltwater please help

frontosafanatic

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
somewhere
I have a 300 gallon tank that I wanna do saltwater in.I just want to put large fish in it. Triggers, Angels, Tangs,Lionfish,etc. No coral for now,I already have a nice sump and filters. The tank is doing around 3000 gph,I don't know if this matters with salt. Do I have to take out my freshwater bio media to run salt?? Someone said I didn't have to, Does live sand work right away? How long do I have to cycle my tank for? Do I need a protein skimmer. I basically wanna know what I can do to have the tank running smoooth as soon as possible. I really want to get the community started.Thanks

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Well if your going to put angels in you cant do corals unless your careful and pick the "reef safe" ones, as the rest will eat corals when they are bored. You basicaly have to start from scratch again when it comes to biomedia/cycle. Cycle lenght verries. Protein skimmers arent "nessisary" but a good to have. I would start by getting 300lb of special or sugar grain aragonite sand. As well as a good amound of rock min 200lb prefferably 300lb (that said its technicaly not nessisary to have that much).

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
TheCanuck;4412395; said:
Get yourself some saltwater fish safe sand, and get a lot of it.

Also make sure you rinse all your filters and everything.

Then fill tank with water, add salt, then sand.
+1...

As for everything else I would rinse your media clean, and then it should be good. Just out of curiosity what are you using? Most of those fish are considered non-reef safe just as a warning, and no...live sand is one of the biggest scams in the SW industry today. It will cycle your tank, but only because of all the DEAD stuff in the sand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store