Is something up with my Firefish?

Johnnybravo60025

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2008
IL
So I got my Firefish last night, along with a frag of neon green Candy Cane coral. I drip acclimated them for about an hour and then put them in the tank. The moment I put the fish in, it went straight under my liverock and from what I've seen, it hasn't moved since.

I thought Firefish like to play in the water column normally?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Schooling fish...sort of...reclusive...YES!

Firefish can be found in the wild in groups of two or three very commonly, however, I would not describe them as schooling fish. They will do just fine one per tank. Most likely they would be less skittish in groups however, and as they are very skittish it might be recommended. The main thing you have to realize is that firefish are basically swimming watchman gobies. They pick/dig a hole, and then they swim outside of it. When they see "danger" they tuck their dorsal fin, and split back to their hole. He might just be getting settled, or the area that your tank is in might have too much movement for him to feel that he is ever completely safe. Who knows. Give us an update in a day or two.

01yellowr

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
NJ
Mine do the same thing every day. Let him get acustomed to his new home then you will see him more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store