super tall pico

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
hey guys just got a cool idea wen i was walking through tescos doing my shopping i sin a 36" high round vase about 6" across the top for £20 i wanted to do a nano/pico reef with it i would do a small power head at the bottom and going down to a sump i would have quite a lot of live rock rubble built up the back with a plant dish for a lid not shore yet for lighting looking for ideas and maby 1-2 very small gobies with a clean up crew hope yous can give me your opinions and lighting suggestions

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
Its hard to get good light penatration at 36", T5s arent rated for over 20" buy most people, so maybe a tiny MH pendant?

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
thanks for the idea i just thourght it would be cool to have a 36" cylindar pico reef i no how risky it is in a 36"h 6" across the top vase as its such a small amount of water i would probely miss out any fish and just have a few shrimp,crabs,snails :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
monsterberry;4415932; said:
thanks for the idea i just thourght it would be cool to have a 36" cylindar pico reef i no how risky it is in a 36"h 6" across the top vase as its such a small amount of water i would probely miss out any fish and just have a few shrimp,crabs,snails :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:
Thats 4.4 US gallons.

And doing a quick ratio, its 3.7 Emperical gallons. You could keep a hermit and a snail....

And not even a MH is going to be worth your time unless you do like a 300 watt bulb to get light penetration all the way to the bottom.

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
i no how hard it would be but people have done 1.5g-2g reef vases with a few shrimp 2 hermits and a few snails mine will be 4.4g i am mainly focusing on the corals and getting a bright a nuff light

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store