What are your thoughts on this 300Gal setup for a FRT?

Gotfrogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Texas
I have two small FRT that I have had for almost a year now. I am way overdue on giving them a larger tanks. I was thinking about getting a Marineland Monterey 300 gallon double deep setup. Drs Foster and Smith offers a setup that comes with the 300 gallon tank (72" x 36" x 27" high) tanks, stand, heaters, light, and a Marineland Model 4 Acrylic Sump Filtration Systems.

What are your thoughts on using this to house two small Fly River Turtles?

My main concerns are:
1) Will a tank with two overflows work? Will the water level have to be kept to high for the overflows to work? Will this allow the turtles to escape? Will the overflows clog easily and potentially cause the tank to overflow?
2) How good of a match is the Acrylic Sump Filtration Systems? I currently have a Fluval FX5 filtering their tank and have been very happy with it. Would this sump be an upgrade or a downgrade?
3) Noise! One of the few places that I can locate such a large tank is in my bedroom. Does anyone have one of the Marineland Model 4 Acrylic Sump Filtration Systems? How loud is it?
4) Glass top? The setup comes with a glass top. Can I use it? I am afraid that the water level will be so hight that the turtles will not have adequate breathing room.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing some feedback.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
1) Will a tank with two overflows work? Will the water level have to be kept to high for the overflows to work? Will this allow the turtles to escape? Will the overflows clog easily and potentially cause the tank to overflow?

Since they don't bask a tank with overflows should work fine. Overflows are pretty standard, you'll have it filled to within a couple inches of the top, but they shouldn't be able to escape. As for clogging, I'd be more concerned with the filtering screens clogging up and your sump running dry vs. the actual overflow slots clogging.

2) How good of a match is the Acrylic Sump Filtration Systems? I currently have a Fluval FX5 filtering their tank and have been very happy with it. Would this sump be an upgrade or a downgrade?

With turtles you really want a bit more mechanical filtration than with comparable fish. I think you'll want to continue to use the fx5 in tandem with your wet/dry. In terms of biofiltration it's likely an upgrade, but your fx5 is likely doing a better job on solid waste, shed skin, etc. Depending on what kind of deal your getting buying the package, you might be better off using a simple sump with a ton of biomedia in it rather than paying for the skimmer etc that comes with theirs.

3) Noise! One of the few places that I can locate such a large tank is in my bedroom. Does anyone have one of the Marineland Model 4 Acrylic Sump Filtration Systems? How loud is it?

My sump is pretty quiet. The pvc type overflows with pipe sometimes gurgle depending on how they're made, but my overflow box doesn't. You might hear the water moving in the pipe from the overflow box to the sump if you're right next to it, but unless you sleep super light you won't notice it.

4) Glass top? The setup comes with a glass top. Can I use it? I am afraid that the water level will be so hight that the turtles will not have adequate breathing room.

You might be able to, but if you're getting the full setup as in the video, with the canopy, I would just use the canopy.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
The overflows will work fine and no, they will not try and escape. I keep my mata mata in a tank with overflows as well and have keep soft shelled turtles in a tank without a secure top and neither have escaped (or tried to).

the sump will give you much better filtration than any canister filter but if you would like then both can be used together. I am currently running a sump plus a marine land filter and my water is pristine.

Noise depends on several factors like how long the connecting tube from the overflow to the sump is, the type of pump and the style of over flow. Mine is not noisy at all but I have heard some that resemble Niagara falls.

I would skip the glass top but so long as there is a few inches of air space between the surface of the water and the glass then it is fine.

Gotfrogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Texas
Thanks for all of the input. It looks like there is enough room for the sump and the FX5 under the stand. I am just not sure if there is enough height clearance in the short stand for the FX5.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
That could be close, the fx5 with the hose fittings is pretty tall. I'm sure you could call Foster & Smith and ask.

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
if not, the sump should do just fine.

Gotfrogs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Texas
I ordered the tank today. Now I am scared about moving it. I have to pick it up at the LFS the day they take delivery. Any idea how much an empty 300 gallon tank weighs? How may people will be needed and what "tools" should we use.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store