keeping more than one grouper

impala65

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Tampa , FLA
I know people say you can't keep more than one grouper in a tank at one time. But I was wondering if you can or if anyone has had success doing so.
I currently have one v tail grouper about the size of my hand
And a bird wrasse about the same lenght. And they are doin fine together I only had agression for a day and a half when they were introduced.

I want to add another grouper to the tank. But want to hear yalls imput first

This is my first saltwater tank. I used to keep large cichla (peacock bass) so I am a sucker for cool looking bass that's why I want more than one grouper

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
i'd imagine tank size would play a role as well as when the fish are introduced to the tank. Alot of supervision would be required and you'd have to have an auxilury tank setup in case there's trouble.

in the end it all comes down to the paticular fish, like any stocking with preds.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
These guys I find are not often OPENLY aggressive, but they are fish killers. I had a grouper wait till my lionfish would fall asleep and then come out and just hammer him. I would be really careful with this. Sometimes groupers seem like they get along fine, and then while your not watching (or the lights are off) they go to town on your favorite fish.

impala65

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Tampa , FLA
TheCanuck;4417355; said:
I have had 3 at 12" plus. Trail and error bro! It will cost you some cash before you can get it to work.
What do you mean? Like I will have to keep buying different species till I find compatible fish or they will keep killing each other?

impala65

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
Tampa , FLA
FLESHY;4422539; said:
These guys I find are not often OPENLY aggressive, but they are fish killers. I had a grouper wait till my lionfish would fall asleep and then come out and just hammer him. I would be really careful with this. Sometimes groupers seem like they get along fine, and then while your not watching (or the lights are off) they go to town on your favorite fish.
I've also heard this. And grouper that are similar in color are likely to fight

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I assume he means that partially, but also that the individual attitudes of the fish might take a while to match two that can put up with each other.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
that an hopefully you'll recognize that it's not going to work with any paticular fish before it comes to one killing another. best example would be when the canuck tried to put the blue spotted ray with mr green. he was able to recognize that mr green wanted him as a snack and promptly took the ray out of the tank.

trial and error but hopefully not ending in major injury or death. With smaller fish you can sometimes check the agression and see that it's not going to work by merely putting the bag with the new fish close to the tank.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Groupers tend to beat a fish up over time...at least that has been my experience. The thing is it can be hard to call when the agression has gone too far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store