New acquisitions - H. carpintis "Vontehillo"

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
They're a bit banged up from the ride, and haven't settled in yet. Can't wait for them to get some size and settle down. They've been in the tank for three hours now. I got 6 ranging from 1.5" to 4".

Smallest - about 1.5"

Mid sized-

Second largest (likely female)

Largest (likely male)

buddha1200

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2008
camden, NJ
nice,wait til the get some size they turn absolutely beautiful.

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
this looks to be a stunning race...up to now I think the majority would agree that Escondido has been the most attractive race but these guys are certainly going to give the Escondidos a run for their money. Can't wait to see how they progress :)

cavamart

Feeder Fish
Sep 22, 2007
Oregon
Wow, they were only in the bucket 10 minutes and in your cooler not more than an hour I guess. They sure did put a lttle beating on each other. With all the Lyonsi they were housed with the aggression was very minimal, even the little runt evaded any torment. Good luck.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
cavamart;4421191; said:
Wow, they were only in the bucket 10 minutes and in your cooler not more than an hour I guess. They sure did put a lttle beating on each other. With all the Lyonsi they were housed with the aggression was very minimal, even the little runt evaded any torment. Good luck.
Thanks again James. The smallest can fit through the divider and is over with the midas right now and so far he doesn't care. I think a lot of the damage was from crashing into the cooler and tank. They were hitting the sides hard and jumping lots when I was moving and catching them. Since they've been in the tank I've seen minimal aggression.

Jason_S;4421162; said:
this looks to be a stunning race...up to now I think the majority would agree that Escondido has been the most attractive race but these guys are certainly going to give the Escondidos a run for their money. Can't wait to see how they progress :)
I have to say that my female carpintis "Escondido" showed a lot more blue at this age than this "variety". Can't go wrong with H. carpintis though.

Here's my old female Escondido at about the same size. My photography has improved just a bit since then...

[QUOTE="Cich" wit it;442108;7]Looking great already. Congrats on the pick up. Cant wait to see them grown.[/QUOTE]

Thanks

flowerpower;4421064; said:
Nice pic up! I hope to see lots of updates on these guys.
Are they all in the same tank?
Yes, they're in the same tank, divided off from my stupid midas who will most likely be leaving soon.

tydus;4420699; said:
Beautiful carpintis. This has to be one of the nicest looking strains.
Thanks, I still think the "Escondido" race might take the cake. Have to grow these guys out more to be sure.

buddha1200;4420595; said:
nice,wait til the get some size they turn absolutely beautiful.
I'm shooting for a breeding pair, then I'll have to unload the rest. I'm fairly certain the largest is male and the two second largest are female.

JK47;4420585; said:
So much color, ther're beautiful! Did you get them locally?
I got them from Cavamart. He's got all sorts of nice small cichlids right now that he's selling. I know you're a SA guy but if I had more tank space I'd be all over them.

Cryptoheros Chetumalensis .5" $3.50
Cryptoheros Chetumalensis 1.5" $4.50
Cryptoheros Sajica .5" $3.50
Cryptoheros Sajica 1.5" $4.50
Cryptoheros HRP .75" $3.50
Cryptoheros Cutteri Rio Jutiapa 1" $4.50
Cryptoheros Cutteri Rio Mongu 1.5" $5
Cryptoheros Septemfasciatus 3.5" $8
Archocentrus Centrarchus 2" $4.75
Amphilophus Lyonsi 2.5-3.5" $7.00
Herichthys Carpintis Vontehillo 2-3" $6
Parachromis La Ceiba Yellowheads 1.5-2.5" $3.50

'vspec'

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2010
Melbourne
I know absolutely nothing about the fish, however they seem to have nice structure & that colour is sweet, what is that turquoise?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store