90 Gallon AMIRACLE acrylic tank!!

Smok3o3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Colorado
I just picked up a 90 gallon acrylic tank today, the brand of tank is Amiracle 48x18x24 with a built in overflow box in that back. It was used as a salt water tank before I got it. I am also planning on making it a salt water tank.

Just wondering If I can get some help figuring out some things with the tank and getting it up and running. Also Im new to salt water still a rookie and have some questions and I will appreciate the help.

Im not too sure how overflows are suppose to work so thats question one.

Would I need to use an overflow filter?

If I dont use the overflow box how would I plug up the holes under the tank and keep it secure?

Since the tank has been used what would be the best way to clean the tank. I heard vinegar might do the job if not there is a certain acid type that I can use but I forget the name of it, what would you say I should try..

And any other tips or suggestions on what kind of setup I should have for the tank?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Smok3o3;4421698; said:
I just picked up a 90 gallon acrylic tank today, the brand of tank is Amiracle 48x18x24 with a built in overflow box in that back. It was used as a salt water tank before I got it. I am also planning on making it a salt water tank.

Just wondering If I can get some help figuring out some things with the tank and getting it up and running. Also Im new to salt water still a rookie and have some questions and I will appreciate the help.

Im not too sure how overflows are suppose to work so thats question one.
Overflows use gravity to pull water down into a sump. Most of the time, they have "teeth" at the top to aid in blocking out large items, or trash. Once the water level goes below these teeth, water will no longer continue to flow. [YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD9CPqhtY88?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD9CPqhtY88?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT] A video of it in action.

Would I need to use an overflow filter?
Depending on what type of overflow you have, you can use a prefilter to help keep trash from clogging your pipes, but its not entirely necessary. I wont be running one, but thats just me. All of the mechanical and chemical filtration will occur in the sump, and there is usually areas for skimming, etc in the sump as well.

If I dont use the overflow box how would I plug up the holes under the tank and keep it secure?
You would get a schedule 40 cap of the same diameter that is either threaded or cement welded on to the back of the bulkhead. Thats the easiest way since that part is readily available at hardware stores that have a plumbing section. I am sure that online vendors sell plugs for this as well.

Since the tank has been used what would be the best way to clean the tank. I heard vinegar might do the job if not there is a certain acid type that I can use but I forget the name of it, what would you say I should try..
Vinegar. Most of the crap on the acrylic is calcium build up or tough algae. Attempting to scrape it would only mar the surface. Vinegar will cause the calcium deposits to dissolve and most algaes will die and release with ease. Fill it up with fresh water and vinegar, and throw in some power heads to push water around for a day or so. Make sure to rinse the tank very well before you use it again. It needs to be just regular distilled white vinegar.

And any other tips or suggestions on what kind of setup I should have for the tank?
What all did the tank come with? Or was it tank only with overflow? Some pics would be nice too.
Hope this helps.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
+1...heath you are getting too good at this.

Vinegar works a charm. Go buy the cheapest stuff you can get in those one gallon jugs. It might be costly, but you can actually see the calcium deposits and coraline algae dissolving. They give off tiny bubbles. You should also get an acrylic safe aquarium cleaner so that you dont scratch the surface when you give it the final clean or when doing routine maintenance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store