Short Nose Gar arrived today......

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Putting up some pics of my newest Gar my Short Nose. Love this guys looks, don't know if he'll stay that pale or if it's stress. Hoping he stays that pale and is healthy. Lol! Hope you guys enjoy the pics. I know I'm not that good and I've got a simple point and shoot, but I make the best of it. Plus the new guys so skinny gonna have to fix that!

DSCF3770.JPG

DSCF3772.JPG

DSCF3768.JPG

DSCF3767.JPG

DSCF3745.JPG

DSCF3763.JPG

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
Thanx greatly appreciated. Any suggestions for good tankmates in a Gar Comm.? Thinking of starting over sell my Armatus's, Spotted and one Barred Silver Dollar, Trachycorystes, Bumblebee Jello Cat and Achara/Shovelnose Hybrids. Start over with some tankmates more suitable for my Gars.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
hmmm, somethings seems off about it......

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
In what way? Does it look sick, or do you think it's not a Gar? Please a little help just gotta him, and I'm not really used to losing fish. I usually sell them or every once in awhile will make a tankmate compatibility issue that might cause death from predation. Though even that's rare now at days since I've been playing it safer with tankmate selection. Help me please, I really hate losing fish!

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
it is a shorty(pretty sure) and seems healthy. ull have to watch the deco. i dunno the back just seems to be a large hump if u will. it seems off. i dunno just something seems off. nice specimen, good to add more gar. hope ur ready to possibley lose it, as shortys are notorious for dieing even under perfect conditions. its what shortys do. and with as many gaps in ur deco u run a slightly higher risk. but it also may help it calm down. they are much much more skittish than other gar, die randomly with no rhyme or reason, stay much skinnyer, and seem to burn through more food(IMO). good luck and keep us updated

ps iv got a massive throbbing headache(and have for like 3 days) so i cant think, and am all over the place. hope i made since and am correct but i just cant think clearly

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NY
I was even thinking about ordering more from TFD, since they're so fragile. Will another shorty have a calming effect on him? What sizes are they most sucebtible to the sudden death thing? What size does they're survival rate seem to go up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store