125-150g sw setup ?'s (n00b)

Defeatist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2010
i forget
i got a 55 gallon the other day and broke a big pc of glass and a small pc. so now im doing a diy 150 build for saltwater (hopefully).

stock wise so far ive decided on Banded Cat Shark, and Yellowhead Eel. still have to find a few more things that will go with those 2.

ne ways.
all i have is the tank, and im going to build about a 15-25g sump (if thats not big enough ill go bigger).

what i need to know is, what else will i need for initial setup? how much sand, salt, etc.. and, will a protein skimmer be neccissary(spelling)? also what else wll i need to grab?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Sounds like its going to be nice.

I would skip the 150 and go straight to the 500 gallon. Banded catsharks get 4ft long and require at least a 450+ or so with perfect foot print to be housed.

Also the shark and eel would probably knock down the corals causing them to die or never grow as fast. If they become bothered enough they wont even open.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
+1...sharks are never housed in big enough tanks period. That being said a 150g is far too small for a banded.

I suppose you COULD do corals in a large tank, but it would be costly, and difficult. Think about water changes, lighting, and dosing issues. You would have to as the canuck pointed out have VERY sturdy, secured rock work, and then epoxy or glue your corals to it. If you are going to do it, I would recommend softies only.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Thats true, but shark people usually keep pretty good h2o quality cause of how sensitive the sharks are. That being said...it still takes a ton of work to clean up after a four foot fish. Softies like some crap in the water though. It would be cool to see and pretty unique if accomplished.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store