diy refugium help

metalhed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Minot ND
ive been looking into diy refugiums out of HOB filters for my 24 gallon flat back hex. would i be able to make one out of an emporer 400 filter, leaving the one half to filter debri and the other half as the fuge? or should i make it a completely seperate unit? i have a penguin 170 that im not using anymore thats sitting under my 75 gallon taking up space. would this be a possibility also? id rather not make a seperate unit because the 400 already takes up so much space on the back of my tank. i think i tried to fit both the 400 an the 170 but there wasnt enough room. i would rather steer away from using a smaller tank with power heads and all the works for mechanical reasons. i also dont have tht much room to work behind my tank. inputs?

monsterberry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2010
uk
i won a fluval edge in a fish keeping competision and i wanted to make it a nano coral reef. the fluval edge comes with a HOB filter and i wanted to mod it into a refugim what i done was silicone a pice of plastic in were the pump was so i had the pump return sticking throught the plastic then i cut a pice of sponge out of the fluval filter sponge and glued the sponge to the part like a water fall were the water comes back to the aquarium a lot of people use mesh but i wanted to use nothing else than i allready had it works great the sponge insted of the mesh allso filters any debris out of the water before it comes into the aquarium

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
You could buy an aquaclear 110...they are expensive, but nice filters. I am currently toying around with making an AC110 be both chemical/mechanical/biological filtration and a fuge. There will be a marine DIY on it when its done...but that might not be for awhile.

metalhed3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Minot ND
sweet. but what i wanna know is if i can leave half the way it is, or do i have to convert the entire thing?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
metalhed3;4425839; said:
sweet. but what i wanna know is if i can leave half the way it is, or do i have to convert the entire thing?
Do a google search, people have been making these for years. There are a stupid amount of pictures and even youtube videos on how to do it step by step.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store