first tank suggestions

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
hey there, so i have decided to start my first salt water tank, and being that im new to the sw trade i need a bit of direction, i have been keeping freshwater fish for 8 years now and so i have understanding of how tanks work and that only certain fish can go with certain fish. so what im looking for is maybe a good sw site that i can look at differnt species of fish, my idea is to have a community tank, im not intersted in having any coral. i have a 90 gallon tank. i know i want false perculas, and a blue tang, thats about all i know , if any one wants to throw fish suggestions at me that would be cool or any sw tips in general that would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
just looking at that site now. so with the idea i have that i want peaceful community fish like the ones you mentioned and that are on the website. what would my common salinity level be at. somewhere between .020 and .025? would that be ok for most fish?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Yes anywhere from .20-.23 is what i keep my tanks at. I try to maintain that best as possible. All saltwater fish can maintain that range.

First tip: Saltwater does not evaporate, just fresh. So when replacing evaporated water, use only fresh. When doing water changes use saltwater.

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
awesome thank for the tip, another question for you lol.. so the tank is filled with water and ive got my salt mixed in, now will a hydrometor read higher with a higher water temp?, if so whats a good water temp for sw fish to get an accurat reading?

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
ok only wondering because, salt desolves faster in warm water, any way you seem to be the only one responding and i thank you for that. next question since im not doing any coral my lfs was suggesting i try out one of those LED marineland light fixtures, they said it would work fine for just having a community tank, do you know much about that light im talking about, have you heard good or bad about it?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
expkeeper19;4432788; said:
ok only wondering because, salt desolves faster in warm water, any way you seem to be the only one responding and i thank you for that. next question since im not doing any coral my lfs was suggesting i try out one of those LED marineland light fixtures, they said it would work fine for just having a community tank, do you know much about that light im talking about, have you heard good or bad about it?
They are just trying to make commission off you. I buy my strip lights at home depot or lowes. They have nice 10$ black fixtures then i just put fish lights in them. I get one off white bulb from hardware store then one fish bulb, an actinic bulb

BTW yes salt dissolves faster, but that doesn't mean it leaves the water column, it just isn't visible anymore ;) It wont stay that creamy color for 2 more hours.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Isnt it the case that hydrometers are only calibrated to one temperature? Temperature of the water should affect your salinity reading if its not very close to the temperature that they calibrate the hydrometer to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store