Too large of a skimmer??

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Is it possible to have too large of a skimmer on a tank? Just wodering as I'm looking at purchasing a SWC Xtreme 200 for my 75 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump. Only reason I'm looking at this skimmer is because if I do end up liking salt I may resetup my 220 gallon as SW. Let me know what you think or any recommendations on other skimmers!

LD50

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2010
Austin TX
TheCanuck;4437873; said:
You can never over skim... well only in a reef tank but even then its hard to do.

Get the biggest skimmer that you can afford, you will be upgarding soon. The SW bug bites hard and fast.
+1

Now this may just be my misunderstanding but from what I have read a number of people like to be able to over skim in a reef as well so they can afford to shut down their skimmers for a while when they feed without compromiseing water quality.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Wish y'all wouldn't have said that! haha, might go with the SWC extreme 250 then, now I just need to get another 75gallon to use as a sump for my 75gallon so this thing will fit! SWC a good brand or should I keep looking around for a compariable model? I mean they say this thing can handle a 315 with a heavy bioload and for $420 that doesn't seem too bad..I mean I do want my pets to be happy and healthy!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I always recommend AquaC. The only way you can over skim a tank is if you are a reefer and you are removing all of your coral food before the corals get a chance to get to it. Turn off your skimmer for 15m while feeding corals.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
I'm thinking of making the 75gallon a predator tank, so no corals this go around, but with my larger setup that could change, who knows!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
You could do both...right now I am setting up a low tech softie reef to feature preds. Baby preds...but thats a 125g.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
Well, picked up a used 75gallon tonight to use as a sump for the 75gallon predator tank. Now just need to find a protein skimmer and get working on it! Got it test filled for the night in the garage, so far everything is doing good.

oakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2009
Lynchburg, VA
FLESHY;4440096; said:
I always recommend AquaC. The only way you can over skim a tank is if you are a reefer and you are removing all of your coral food before the corals get a chance to get to it. Turn off your skimmer for 15m while feeding corals.

I'll look into them, a little smaller footprint as well. How do you use yours in tank or outside of tank?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Aqua C will never compare to reef octopus, asm, trigger systems, bubble king, or many others. I have personally seen all these skimmers go to work, and for a HOB AquaC is top class. Please keep in mind, a HOB skimmer will never be close to the top products ;)

I use to work in a lfs with all these products working. Which is also why I paid 150$ brand new for my skimmer that filters my 360 gallon. It would have cost me 1000 dollars if i went aquaC/ev models. They are highly overpriced, just like eheim filters.

AquaC is a great filter if you get one used, or free. I would never pay that much money for a plastic contraption that i could build myself, if i wanted to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store