Caulerpa; is it worth the risk?

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
Alright, so now I'm scared. I've been reading about Caulerpa going sexual for the past few hours, and it seems that grape caulerpa does this most commonly. I have been growing grape caulerpa in my simp for the past 2 years with no problems, as well as caulerpa prolifera in the main tank for the same amount of time. I've never had any problems and I regularly add the grape to the main tank because it's always gone within 24 hours (the bicolor angelfish loves it). So here's the question. I'm upgrading from a 20 gallon sump to a 55 gallon refugium/sump combo. The lighting is going to be stronger and there will be other algae present (Chaeto and gracilaria). Should I just trade the caulerpa in? Will it go sexual? Or, should I just keep it in the sump only, and keep an eye on it? I am going to add a sea urchin and a few tangs to the display, so should I just let them eat it all? Tank is 187 gallons. I should also mention that it has kept my nitrates below 10 ppm all this time.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
Here's a quote from a moderator on aquaria central where I posted the same thread:
I've never been a fan of Caulerpa. There are far better options available in terms of a stable population. There are also plenty of others that don't excrete various organic compounds nearly to the extent that Caulerpa species do. Stick with Chaetomorpha or something like Ulva or Gracilaria.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
lol if you have had it for 2 years no problems then just stick with what youu know. If it becomes a problem then you'll have to deal with it then, but from the sounds of it you have no issues.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have had one kind of caulerpa in almost every SW tank I have ever had...probably the easiest and FASTEST way to remove nitrates from a SW tank. I have never found a marine plant that could grow that fast, or was that easy to remove. Unlike other algaes, tangs LOVE it, so you not only pull nitrates but you have a great source of forage for them. (I think this important for tangs dietary wise, and psychologically.)

LFS dudes who think they are awesome, but dont know half as much as you will tell you that "it goes asexual." This will never happen if your lights are on a timer. I have been keeping it for over 8 years now, and never once had an issue.

TFH ran an article on it a couple months ago and echoed everything I have just told you. Keep your photo period consistent, and you wont have any issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store