10 gal stocking?

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
So my ill be getting some more stuff for my 37 tomorrow and I want to convince my brother in law and sister to convert their 10 gallon tank to salt (i'll be maintaining it)

What can she have in it?
The tank is mostly for their 4 year old daughter and she loves nemo like every other kid with a fish tank, but i'm not sure if a ten is big enough.

What ideas do you guys have as to stocking?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Yes easily.

Some people will say that cardinals get too big...this really depends on the kind of cardinal, and keep in mind that you will want to have a group when it comes to cards.

This is a touchy topic, but in my opinion, the more advanced aquarist could keep a wider range and size of fish in a 10g salt than other people could. Not something I would recommend to the average aquarist however.

BigO6687

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2010
banana land
FLESHY;4444274; said:
Yes easily.

Some people will say that cardinals get too big...this really depends on the kind of cardinal, and keep in mind that you will want to have a group when it comes to cards.

This is a touchy topic, but in my opinion, the more advanced aquarist could keep a wider range and size of fish in a 10g salt than other people could. Not something I would recommend to the average aquarist however.
So could you recommend some to me? The lady at the lfs had some fairly good advice, but on the other hand, she said zoa's and soft polyps needed special lights while anemones will be fine and are fine under flourescents.

Btw its a 15w light, im guessing its a flourescent. I'm looking to do something simple.

I showed my sister and her daughter some fish and heres pretty much what they're thinking.

2 firefish
one small ocellaris clownfish
a pajama cardinal
1 or 2 small gobies

a couple hermits
a couple nass snails
a nerite snail

could a cleaner shrimp work?

is this overstocked?

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
I wouldn't recomend the clown or that cardial... but that said with proper care and a careful eye you could probably pull it off. As for corals, your going to need more light period, unless you want filter feeders... but I would recomend against that they can be hard to maintain.

Matt724

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2009
SOCAL & ANN ARBOR, MI
Just personal opinion because I'm looking to make a 10 gallon SW tank also, why need a fish? I think your daughter would find invertebrates just as fascinating, especially colorful ones. But I can understand the implications of this, so maybe a pair of firefish would be cool. Also, I would look around at getting some higher wattage lighting for nicer corals.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store